• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Small caliber smoothbores?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think roundball is legal for California turkeys, and even if it was, where will you get California “certified” lead free roundball in small caliber?

—————-

§311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.​

The take or attempted take of any resident small game with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles and ammunition pursuant to Section 250.1. Only the following may be used to take resident small game:

• (a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun.
  • (b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.
  • (c) Muzzle-loading shotguns.
  • (d) Falconry.
  • (e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery equipment regulations).
    • (1) It shall be unlawful to take wild turkey by use of hunting arrows and crossbow bolts unless fitted with a broad head type blade which will not pass through a hole seven-eighths inch in diameter. Mechanical/retractable broadheads shall be measured in the open position.
  • (f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at least 0.177 caliber.
  • (g) In addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) and (f) above, firearm rifles and pistols may be used for taking rabbits and squirrels only; except in Los Angeles County where rifles and pistols may not be used.
  • (h) In San Diego and Orange counties only, rabbits may be taken at any time during the open season by means of box traps. Such traps shall not exceed 24 inches in any dimension, shall be tended at least once every 24 hours, and shall show the name and address of the trap owner. All rabbits taken under this section shall be immediately killed and become a part of the daily bag limit.
  • (i) Electronic or mechanically-operated calling or sound-reproducing devices are prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds.
  • (j) Coursing dogs may be used to take rabbits.
  • (k) Archers hunting during any archery season may not use or possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting during an archery season except as provided in subsection (k)(1).
    • (1) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the lawful possession of a concealed firearm by an active peace officer listed in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3, of Part 2 of the Penal Code or a retired peace officer in lawful possession of an identification certificate issued pursuant to Penal Code Section 25445 authorizing the retired officer to carry a concealed firearm. Nor shall this section prohibit the lawful possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a concealed carry permit issued pursuant to Penal Code sections 26150 or 26155.
  • (l) The use of live decoys is prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds.
  • (m) Pistols and revolvers may be used to take sooty and ruffed grouse in those counties only and for the season described in Section 300(a)(1)(E).
  • (n) Crossbows, except for provisions of Section 354(d) and (g).
  • (o) Dogs may be used to take and retrieve resident small game.

Last edited:
My first muzzleloader was a .40 caliber smoothbore percussion musket way back circa 1967 or so. I got it at our local gun store at the time. It was made in Brazil and I think it was intended for the natives there as a trade gun. I used it quite a bit back then. I treated it as more of a .410 shotgun. But I did get a lot of rabbits as well as some birds during the dove and quail seasons. So anyway they did mass produce some smaller caliber or bore smoothbores over the years.

I don’t think roundball is legal for California turkeys, and even if it was, where will you get lead free roundball in small caliber?

—————-

The take or attempted take of any resident small game with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles and ammunition pursuant to Section 250.1. Only the following may be used to take resident small game:

• (a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun.
  • (b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.
  • (d) Falconry.
    • (1) It shall be unlawful to take wild turkey by use of hunting arrows and crossbow bolts unless fitted with a broad head type blade which will not pass through a hole seven-eighths inch in diameter. Mechanical/retractable broadheads shall be measured in the open position.
  • (f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at least 0.177 caliber.
  • (g) In addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) and (f) above, firearm rifles and pistols may be used for taking rabbits and squirrels only; except in Los Angeles County where rifles and pistols may not be used.
  • (h) In San Diego and Orange counties only, rabbits may be taken at any time during the open season by means of box traps. Such traps shall not exceed 24 inches in any dimension, shall be tended at least once every 24 hours, and shall show the name and address of the trap owner. All rabbits taken under this section shall be immediately killed and become a part of the daily bag limit.
  • (i) Electronic or mechanically-operated calling or sound-reproducing devices are prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds.
  • (k) Archers hunting during any archery season may not use or possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting during an archery season except as provided in subsection (k)(1).
    • (1) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the lawful possession of a concealed firearm by an active peace officer listed in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3, of Part 2 of the Penal Code or a retired peace officer in lawful possession of an identification certificate issued pursuant to Penal Code Section 25445 authorizing the retired officer to carry a concealed firearm. Nor shall this section prohibit the lawful possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a concealed carry permit issued pursuant to Penal Code sections 26150 or 26155.
  • (l) The use of live decoys is prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds.
  • (m) Pistols and revolvers may be used to take sooty and ruffed grouse in those counties only and for the season described in Section 300(a)(1)(E).

You can get buckshot for shotguns in various sizes. But in CA I think they banned lead though. So you would be stuck with steel buckshot then. Fortunately that should not pose a problem as you need to use a lubed patch with the bullets anyway. Granted the steel shot is not going to obturate in the barrel like a lead bullet might. But being smoothbores this should not pose a problem.

311 sec. (b) says cannot possess shot larger than #2 when turkey hunting.

Also, I edited above to add that lead free is not enough for California, the projectiles must be certified lead free by the state and on an approved list. This is why everyone is buying bismuth shot from Rotometals- they had their bismuth-tin alloy certified for use in California.

OP should get a Thompson Center 56 cal. Smoothbore and use bismuth #4 shot. It is basically a 28 gauge.

I don’t think roundball is legal for California turkeys, and even if it was, where will you get California “certified” lead free roundball in small caliber?

—————-

• (d) Falconry.
Muzzleloading shotguns don't use shotshells. b regulates shotshells. c regulates muzzleloading shotguns.

Regarding "certified non lead," Rotometals also has a bismuth casting alloy for use in cast lead free bullets. That alloy has its own certification.

I understand your argument, but I think if a warden caught you hunting turkey with a roundball larger than #2 size you would get a ticket and would lose in court. Do what you want, but the regulations seem clear to me.

Back