• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Cal.Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he had said that roundball sometimes doesn't exit and that makes for poor blood trails, I could understand and even agree. I suspect that in the mulie arena that folks are trying to make long shots with them that are outside their usefull range.

Here in Ohio, the minimum caliber is .38 Quite a few years ago, I shot a medium size doe with my .40 flintlock longrifle. As I recall, I was using 65 grains of 3f, and the range turned out to be about 120 long paces. The deer was standing stationary and broadside. To my amazement, at the shot, the deer dropped like a rock. Congratulating myself on some fine shooting, I then discovered that I'd hit the deer in the spine, which of course was not where I was aiming. That being said, I'd think that the small caliber balls could be expected to kill much like an arrow. I would not hunt deer again with a small caliber, as I always felt under gunned. I've since killed several deer with my .54 Chambers / Haines longrifle, using 80 grains 2f, and have had good results. Can you hunt successfully with a small caliber? Yes if the range is short and you can place the shot precisely, but I think it's responsible to use something bigger.

In Tennessee, the minimum legal caliber for hunting big game is .40. I have killed quite a few deer with both 50s and 54s using PRBs and conicals. I prefer the 54 for hunting, but I have a T/C Seneca in .36 that would 'git-er-dun' with a conical within limited range and with precision shot placement. To do so would be a stunt, not ethical hunting under most any reasonable circumstances. The idea isn't to merely kill the deer, but to harvest it, that is to take it home with you.

TNrifleman said:
The idea isn't to merely kill the deer, but to harvest it, that is to take it home with you.

Absolutely! :applause:

Michigan use to have a .44 cal minimum but in 2002 they did away with it (probably due to inlines). Here's the FAQ about what gun can be used during muzzleloading season:

A person may use a muzzleloading rifle or muzzleloading shotgun or black-powder handgun loaded with black-powder or a commercially manufactured black-powder substitute. The use of smokeless powder during this deer season is unlawful statewide. The requirement that the firearm be loaded with a .44 caliber or larger projectile was repealed by the Natural Resources Commission in 2002 and is no longer in effect.

29savoy said:
Congratulating myself on some fine shooting, I then discovered that I'd hit the deer in the spine, which of course was not where I was aiming. I think it's responsible to use something bigger.

Perhaps a better test is warranted than condeming something after an errant shot? As mentioned from an above poster the aim is to take your quarry home. Were you surprised that you hit the deer where you did from that distance? is that out of the ordinary for you?

Interesting thread. Here in Colo big game has to be .45 and over, except Elk and Moose which require .50 and over.

All very interesting seeing that most of the current offerings seem to be .50 or smaller. Not too many .54s anymore. Lots of .45s and .50s. I wonder what the difference between .50 and .54 is at 100 yards.

Anyone have that info handy?

hoppe said:
Interesting thread. Here in Colo big game has to be .45 and over, except Elk and Moose which require .50 and over.

All very interesting seeing that most of the current offerings seem to be .50 or smaller. Not too many .54s anymore. Lots of .45s and .50s. I wonder what the difference between .50 and .54 is at 100 yards.

Anyone have that info handy?

What are you asking? If its ft/lbs. of energy then it will depend on the velocity. But here is an example.

.50 cal, 32" barrel, 1:66" twist, .490 rb, 90 grns goex 2F, .015 ox-yoke patch= 1768 fps mzl, 1042 fps @ 100 yrds., 427 ft/lbs @ 100.

.54 cal, 32" barrel, 1:60" twist, .535 rb, 90 grns goex 2f, .015 ox-yoke patch= 1480 fps mzl, 978 fps @ 100 yrds, 488 ft/lbs @ 100 yrds.

Figures are from Lyman Black Powder handbook all new 2nd addition.

Back