Small bore cannon sights

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

h4198

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What would you use for sights on a 1" bore cannon? My shooting is all at 100 yards or less, mostly less. I currently use a small Red Dot scope, it works well, and is reasonably accurate. I am having the little cannon remodeled, it will eventuallty look like a small parrott rifle. The Red Dot just wouldn't look right on there. I thought some type of tang or rifle sight. What do you think? Thanks, h4198

evildog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The rear sight from a 1903 Springfield rifle works just fine for me.... just glued in place and a simple pin for a front sight.

Cpt Ed

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is what I use on my 1.5” Parrott half scale and it works out quite well for 200 meters. This is before they were colored in a flat non-glare black.
As you can see by this sighting equipment, I do not like drilling and tapping holes in my SBR barrel. If you wish to be period correct, then that is another story.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen a contraption made of a horizontal bar attached to two curved pieces that sit on top of the barrel, with a scope attached to the horizontal piece. It is simply set on the barrel while aiming, and removed when firing. Not period correct...but it worked! :v

Group Builder