• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Small ASM chambers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was cleaning my range and recovered about 200 .36 cal balls from my ASM. The fairly undamaged ones have very little rifling marks. Thought that was odd, so i chambered a ball, knocked it out and set in on the muzzle crown. Didn`t fall down the barrel, but almost. I can see the rifling grooves around the ball.

The fired ball can be pressed somewhat into the muzzle, and gaps can be seen around the grooves.

thinking the chambers are too small? It does not group, per se- hitting what your`re aiming at seems more like luck.

the balls are .375

the ASM has a date code for 2008 manufacture.

I get a nice lead ring shaved from the ball.
i`m in the great white north, political situation between our nations as it is, i may never see my cylinder again.
is reaming the cylinder a gunsmith job or can a machinist type do it?

I get a nice lead ring shaved from the ball.
i`m in the great white north, political situation between our nations as it is, i may never see my cylinder again.
is reaming the cylinder a gunsmith job or can a machinist type do it?
A drill press, good drill vice, plenty of oil and select a reamer that's +.003 - .005 over bore at grooves.
Did an ASM Walker. The bore was at plus diameter. Shot horrible. Reaming cylinder to .451 put it right. Polishing the crown and cone helped too.

Is that a straight down reamer or something that starts slightly tapered to get it in the opening?
guess i need to get some good calipers- digital because i can`t see the little numbers on my other one any more.
suppose it won`t be much different than reaming model A axle kingpin holes.

Is that a straight down reamer or something that starts slightly tapered to get it in the opening?
guess i need to get some good calipers- digital because i can`t see the little numbers on my other one any more.
suppose it won`t be much different than reaming model A axle kingpin holes.

It’s a straight reamer called a chucking reamer. I would recommend using pin gauges to measure the chambers calipers aren’t really great for this work. Amazon has what you need for the job.

Back