• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slow progress on my .40 build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some photos of the butt plate and toe plate.
IMG_6018.jpg
IMG_6019.jpg
IMG_6020.jpg
IMG_6021.jpg
IMG_6023.jpg
IMG_6022.jpg

Thanks guys.

I learned something else today, if you wipe your stock down with lacquer thinner and use blue paper shop towels, the blue dye will bleed into your stock.

It's for folks that shoot from opposite side, a lefty.
Of course - must be too early in the morning for me-DUH! Looking really good and I like that milling machine you are using. I have always wanted to get something like that but don't have the room to add another machine!

Of course - must be too early in the morning for me-DUH! Looking really good and I like that milling machine you are using. I have always wanted to get something like that but don't have the room to add another machine!

My shop is the proverbial 5# bag with 10# of manure in it, LOL. All of my tools, the hot rod, boat, two mowers, side by side, car lift and lots and lots of junk.

Well, another little set back today. I fitted a couple drums to the barrel the other day so today I drilled and tapped one for the nipple. While probably not optimum it will work fine. I think the drum would need to be moved to make the geometry just right.

Next, I changed the lock plate to check the touch hole liner fit. They threads in the hole are too deep and the liners protrude into the barrel as there is no shoulder on them. I ordered four with shoulders from TOW to correct the issue. More lessons learned, I don't know what I don't know. I'm really thinking about stepping back from the rifle for a bit, having covid doesn't help and my patience is running short. Maybe it's time to fool with the hot rod for a while.

IMG_6026.jpg
IMG_6030.jpg
IMG_6031.jpg
IMG_6032.jpg

I'm still plugging away, one step forward and two steps back it seems. With the help of the great folks here the stock around the lock and side plate are pretty much done and to final shape.

After taking almost a half a day to mill the front sight I had a brain fart when I milled the dovetail in the barrel and used the wrong endmill to make the initial cut. I just had to walk away for a while and do something else, so I worked on the garden and ran a new water line in my shop.

After a couple days of rubbing on an idea to fix the sight, instead of spending five or six hours milling another, I decided to tig weld the edge of the dovetail on the sight. On the first attempt I used a 1/16" tungsten and filler wire, the base of the sight is .063". The 1/16" filler required too much heat. After letting everything sit for another day I regrouped and went with a .040" tungsten and .030" filler wire, much better! After the welding was finished I set the mill up and milled the bottom flat, trued up the weld edge and made the final cuts with the dovetail cutter. After some file work I'm almost ready to install the sight.

I broke the tumbler disassembling the lock for browning and had to order another from Chambers. The stock has been getting some attention along the way too and was at the point it needed the muzzle end cut off. After talking with my buddy, he said he normally leaves 1/2" of the muzzle past the stock on his rifles. So, the cut was made to leave 1/2" of the muzzle protruding, I hate it and should've only left 1/4". The fix for that is to use the steel nose cap that I wasn't planning on using or cut the muzzle off. I haven't made up my mind yet. The center of the dovetail for the front sight is about 1 5/8" from the muzzle and I don't want to get the sight too close to the muzzle.

After typing and reading all of this I'm starting to believe I have no business with anything sharper than a crayon in my hands. LOL

To endeavor to persevere.

What a learning experience you are having - will serve you well next time! I think you are doing great and once you are finished I expect the majority of persons who look at your rifle will never notice anything that you notice! Keep chugging along!
Gary

Worked on the nose cap this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll profile and install the front sight, drill and tap the barrel for the rear sight and work on the stock transition to the nose cap.

IMG_6067.jpg

That front sight should be tall enough! I really don't see any problem with your drum install.
This rifle is going to have a Thompson Center adjustable rear sight. The front was intentionally made tall, I can always file it down, but adding to it would be a pain.

It's closer! Maybe one or two more coats on the finish and the barrel may need one more coat of Danglers.

IMG_6074.jpg
IMG_6075.jpg
IMG_6076.jpg
IMG_6077.jpg

Latest posts

Back