• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slow Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimjenky

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My threee pounder is almost finished. I am now in need of a reliable source for good quality slow match. Can anyone recommend a supplier along with the supplier's contact information? Thank you for any and all help in this matter.

You can make your own very cheaply. The hard part is finding cotton cord in the right size. You just have to shop around in hardware stores and hobby shops until you find some. The next thing you will need is some Salt Peter (potassium nitrate). You can often find it in drug stores. Make a concentrated solution of the salt peter and soak the cord in it. After the cord has become fully saturated, hang it to dry and you have your slow match.

It seems like everyone wants you to make your own, I wonder why that is? I asked the same earlier question and got 15 receipts on making it from the fellers. But I really don't want to mess with all the chems and such, so off to Dixies' Catalog I went. Page 347, in the 2015 catalog. P/N: M10201 They call it Matchlock fuse. burn rate is 1ft in 60minutes. A whooping 12foot hunk is really expensive $3.50. shipping is what gonna kill ya. So combine with a few more small items.

Yep, if you need some other things from Dixie, it might make sense to simply order it from them. But, if you just want the match lock fuse, the damned postage will eat your lunch.

The Dixie stuff is thin, 1/4", cord -- OK for a linstock but not ideal for guns IMO (except India-made where it may HAVE to be used).

Irondog54 said:
+1 ! I made slow match the same way years ago and I still use it. No need to buy it. Cotton sash cord is what you'relooking for. :thumbsup:

....and the nitre can be had from the home improvement stores, sold as stump remover.

Look carefully at the label of the stump remover. Not all of them are potassium nitrate. Green Light (?) is a brand that is 98% potassium nitrate.

I make my own match because I can use 3/8" to 1/2" braided hemp, which makes a big surefire coal.

You already have the chemicals in your powder horn.
Black powder is 75 % saltpeter, and the only ingredient soluble in water. Add some black powder to water, dissolve, filter thru multiple layers of coffee filter . Done !
You want to filter it really good to separate the ingredients.
Add cotton cord , hang to dry , have fun :grin:

Right you are with the saltpeter contained in black powder but doing it that way is costly.

If you figure there's about 75% saltpeter in a pound of powder and a pound of black powder costs about $15 a pound, getting one pound of saltpeter will cost about $20 (assuming one can leech out 100 percent of the saltpeter).

Doing this will also use up over a pound of good black powder that could be put to better use IMO.

Going to Home Depot, Lowes or many hardware stores, a pound of Spectracide Stump Remover will cost about $5.97.

According to the MSDS sheet, Spectracide Stump Remover is 100 percent Potassium Nitrate.

You cannot get saltpeter in Canada, and stump remover is also illegal here.
On the flip side,a 20 mm gun is NOT a destructive device, or a 105 mm howitzer for that matter.
It looks that politicians are more concerned with stump removers here for some reason :idunno:

Back