• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

slow match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steam1993

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question, got some match from Dixe gun works. Problem is i have a hard time getting the priming charge to go off on my cannons, i am using 3f, it goes fine if i use a grill lighter, (not safe). I have been told that i do not have a bright red tip on my match, it looks a dull red.

Are you blowing on the match before touching it to the priming? I used to make my own match for shooting my handgonnes, but it's been a long while since I made any. I used cotton rope soaked in a water/potassium nitrate mix overnight and allowed to dry. It's been long enough that I no longer remember the ratio I used, sadly. When the match was ignited it would burn a dull red when just left to burn, but before each shot I'd vigorously blow on it a couple times so it glowed a bright orange color. I don't know about the match offered by Dixie, but if you are blowing on it and it's not getting hot enough to set of your priming, then something isn't right.

I got some from Dixie a while back and it was too small. Maybe 1/4" in diameter. You really want something 3/8" at least, and 1/2" isn't too large. If the match is well made it will burn into a large red cone on the end.

Making your own match is not too difficult. I have posted a set of directions a couple of times here. Source for slow match?

People focus on the potassium nitrate, but the important part is boiling the lignin out of the rope.

some of the historical recipes have sulfur as well as which i have tried and it does increases the burn temperature.
are you putting the match out between shots? if so you would struggle to get a good hot cone.
boiling the lignin out if making your own helps stop the hard crust of dark insulating ash forming which can be a problem with jute and hemp rope, much less so with the cotton i have just started trying for range use.

Have blown on it, but still no go. Thinking it may be to small of Diameter, will try and make some as it does not sound hard to do.
Will do follow up in the spring when i get the cannons out again.

thank for all the advice so far, have a good holiday season.

I wonder if your not reinventing the wheel re matchcord some use lye made from wood ashes I used weak saltpeter the aim is a hot coal that burns slowly with little ash Ive seen matchcord burning merrily in rain probably had a' size' on it .Pukka Bundook uses Hemp, Ive used Macrame string plaited , lots of ways to skin a cockroach you might say . Indian cord is thin stuff. Europeans often thick stuff then there is Fungus 'Match' if most suited to target M locks with snap locks ( the only sort to do good shooting with ). All of them are better for grinding up powder to a Snuff like state for prime as it more readily takes fire & isn't wont to stub out or push aside larger grain priming . Old cotton Sash cord is fine for cannon & bigger muskets modern cord often has a core of plastic junk. & wont answer very well ...All strength to your Arquebusses.
Rudyard

Yes, the new cotton cord often has a synthetic core. If you cut off a 3 foot or so section you can pull the core out. I don't really think diameter is the problem - a really hot coal is what is needed, not a large cooler one. I have been having good success with 1/8 hemp cord from Joanne's fabric. With or without boiling it, just some saltpeter soaking. Let it burn for a while to get fully established and then blow hard on it to get the loose stuff off and make it really hot. Watch out for the little buning flecks if there is any wind at all. They will burn right through your shirt and into your skin. Amazing how hard it is to get a panfull of highly flamable powder to start burning. If you poured an ounce on your hand I bet it would light every time.

DIXIE'S 1/4 inch DIA. is too small! I get mine from PIRATE FASHONS, THE REAL DEAL! 3/8TH. DIA. COTTON MTL.

Toot,

You must qualify your statement;
It may be too small for some reason for Your gun, but for some, a quarter inch is too large.
All matchlocks are not created equal.
Snap -locks require Much smaller match, if match is used. as do antique Toradar/torador types.

Latest posts

Back