• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SLOW MATCH??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Militiaman1835

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello! I have been NPS certified in cannon school at St Augustine Florida several years back. We crew a mountain howitzer at Fort Christmas a replica 1837 Second Seminole War fort near Orlando/Titusville. We used to make our slow match out of cotton rope but its getting very hard to find. Has anyone used the hemp rope that lots of the traders are selling now? I assume the original slow match was likely hemp cord but wonder if the new stuff has been treated so we can't burn[url] it...in[/url] our pipes. JIM :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a different kind of hemp grown without the happy hippy ingredient. Avoid the waxed variety.

With nitre you will get a hard black coal which needs lots of blowing, works much better with lead acetate but you have to remember not to drink the solution twice. (It is supposed to be impossible to ingest a fatal dose of lead at one sitting) They used to use lead acetate, aka "sugar of lead", to sweeten cider :shocking:

Forgeot the important bit, the kind of hemp cord used for carrying the counterbalance weights in sash windows. Has a fine centre and woven exterior :thumbsup:

Purchased some hemp from "96 Fabric" while at Fort de Chartres. Is is a loose weave hemp cord that I used with my Hail Gonne. Works great. Not treated, just plain cord.

Hello! We used to make our slow match out of cotton rope but its getting very hard to find.

Check here for braided 100% cotton rope:

http://rope.ws/

Good stuff, we use it all the time for slow match.

Nitrating the rope will make it burn a bit hotter.

This supplier is located here in Florida.

Latest posts

Back