Slouch hats

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by wayne1967, Nov 25, 2009.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1

wayne1967

wayne1967

wayne1967

45 Cal.

Were in the heck do all the round mid to low crowned felt slouch hats come from? I've seen alot of them but don't see many suppliers.:confused: I like the one that Clearwater Hats sales but it says that it is very hard to fit.

2. Nov 26, 2009 #2

tg

tg

tg

Cannon

I think you can buy a blank from several sources witha 4" or less crown hight and make it isnot the shape you want, I have made cocked hats and hats with one side cocked up, you might have to dampen the hat a bit and hold it where you want it with weights till it drys/sets,startch might help but would likely drain off in the rain.

3. Nov 26, 2009 #3

El Lobo

El Lobo

El Lobo

40 Cal.

You might also try some Bickmore Kahl hat stiffener. You paint it on the hat and it sets up as it dries. I think it is varnish based so it is much more water resistant than starch. A lot of the cowboy types use it.

Lobo

4. Nov 26, 2009 #4

tg

tg

tg

Cannon

Thanks for the advise, I have a blank now that I have not decided what to do with.

5. Nov 26, 2009 #5

wayne1967

wayne1967

wayne1967

45 Cal.

I've shaped felt cowboy type hats with steam. I just can't find a low crown top. Everything I've seen looks like the "indian joe" tall types.

6. Nov 26, 2009 #6

LaBonte

LaBonte

LaBonte

Passed On

Call Tim Bender at www.benderhats.com - don't just go by what he shows on his site - he will make just about anything you want and can offer suggestions as well, he is very reasonable and quite fast, and makes a VERY nice fur felt hat.

The super low crowns can be a bear to fit right - I wear a size 8 1/4 hat (VERY large) and need to go with a 4" crown minimum and that is well within the known sizes of the pre-1840 period, including the 1700's. The idea that only 3-3 1/2" crowns were worn in the 1700's is not true and that is a fact based on existing examples as well as primary written documentation.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  7. Nov 26, 2009 #7

Birdman

Birdman

Birdman

62 Cal.

Wayne ya got a lot of Amish out yer way, they have good quality black low crown hats, ask where they get them, should cost in the $60range I guessing then steam a little to reshape n tack up the sides to make a tricorn or one side for a woodsmans style. Nothing ventured nothing gained I always say

8. Nov 26, 2009 #8

wayne1967

wayne1967

wayne1967

45 Cal.

No Amish in southeast Mo. You see them more around the Springfield area. Thanks though. I found alot more on the net when I added the word blank to my search.

9. Nov 26, 2009 #9

poordevil

poordevil

poordevil

50 Cal.

Crazy Crow.....for the Jim Bridger Hat

Blockade Runner for high Qul. hat blank $39(?).00

internet search for Amish hats. I got a nice one a year or so ago made by the Amish (Amishcraft.com)

P

10. Nov 26, 2009 #10

Chilidog

Chilidog

Chilidog

45 Cal.

11. Dec 4, 2009 #11

crockett

crockett

crockett

Cannon

Wayne- I'm not sure whether the low crown was the only style. There could be some wiggle room. It seems a lot of art work shows mid to higher crowns.

12. Jan 1, 2010 #12

William McConagher

William McConagher

William McConagher

32 Cal.

I know this may be a couple weeks old, but I've just ordered a hat blank from crazycrow.com... looks like the textbook height on the crown that you may be looking for.

13. Jan 7, 2010 #13

Curtis Makamson

Curtis Makamson

Curtis Makamson

40 Cal.

Tim Bender is a pleasure to work with. His hats are top notch.

14. Jan 8, 2010 #14

tg

tg

tg

Cannon

This one is from an inexpensive blank with a bow cockade and ostritch feathers and a hemp outer band,it is sewn to make the one side stand up. if adding feathers just avoid Pheasant and anything illegal by state or federal regs.

[​IMG]

another view minus the feathers

[​IMG]

15. Jan 8, 2010 #15

Poor Private

Poor Private

Poor Private

58 Cal.

If you want your felt hat to stay in one positon, or you need your derby, or bowler to get that hard hat feel again. The thing you can do is use any areasol type hair spray (white rain). I wear derby's and that what I use. Tim Bender makes great hats. Also buy yourself a hat stretcher, it's good to use when your hat gets wet or if your storing it for a length of time.

16. Jan 8, 2010 #16

longbow-hunter

longbow-hunter

longbow-hunter

40 Cal.

I just got my hat from Crazy Crow and I am very pleased with it. It is the black fine wool felt with low crown. I think they are worth checking out. :thumbsup:

17. Apr 14, 2010 #17

wayne1967

wayne1967

wayne1967

45 Cal.

I've got Tim Bender making me one. His finished hat is about the same price as the better blanks.

18. Apr 16, 2010 #18

Stophel

Stophel

Stophel

75 Cal.

ABSOLUTELY! The common reenactor "wisdom" today is that "all 18th century hats had really low, round crowns."

In fact, when I look at 18th century images (and 18th century hats), the majority of them have flattish crowns of varying heights....tending higher than the super low crowns that are considered "correct" today. A "Boss of the Plains" style hat would not look too out of place in the 1750's....well, the pouncing might be too fine, but the shape would be considered normal.

The "DeVerger" drawing is one of my favorites. And there's more than just the hat shown in the drawing that we are often told "they didn't do in the 18th century"! :grin:

[​IMG]

GREEN hat, with taller, flattish crown, short hair...That can't be right...and of course, there's NO WAY that this could possibly be a pullover hunting shirt!!! :haha:

19. Apr 16, 2010 #19

Stophel

Stophel

Stophel

75 Cal.

I LOVE this hat here. A self portrait of English artist Joseph Wright of Derby. Ca. 1780.

[​IMG]

And yes, the VAST majority of 18th century hats were black. In my ever growing library of period images, I have now come across two hats that are a sort of light taupe-gray color, and two brown. I have several images of green hats, but other than the American Son of Liberty shown above, they have all been limited to a very specific region and event...the Salzburger emigration in 1732 ( www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/18JH/SalzburgerExulanten ). So let's see, I have two taupe, two brown, several green, and about 7,648 black. :grin:

(By the way, women's hats were commonly colored in any number of colors...but men's hats were almost universally black.)

It was hard for me to get used to a black hat. I got one of the fur felt blanks from Townsend. Sized a little large for me (which was good). I have done quite a bit of hat shaping and other work, so this was no problem for me. I brushed on some more shellac (to make it stiffer) and steamed and pressed, and pulled and shaped it with my fingers. It is actually quite malleable. I actually used a leather string tied around the outside to crank the sizing down to fit my head, steamed it, and smoothed it all out. Got the crown looking and fitting the way I wanted it, then shaped the brim. I put on a worsted wool black ribbon on it. I have looked and looked and looked, but period images, which often show ribbons, RARELY show how the ends/bow of the ribbon was done. The only ones I have seen show just a big, plain, tied bow, not a neat, flat bow like I would put on a fedora. So that's what I did. Both the bowed portions and the tail ends are about as long as the brim is wide. I made my hat to look very much like that of ol' Joe above, though my brim is not near so wide.

Rope seems to have been common on both sides of the Atlantic. I can think of one British image that is a satire on an unscrupulous clergyman who has on a simple broad brimmed hat with a rope tied around the base of the crown.

And the term "slouch hat" I suppose came along sometime in the 19th century. A slouch hat has little, if any, stiffener (shellac), hence, it "slouches".

I like my hats hard. :wink:

20. Apr 16, 2010 #20

Maestro

Maestro

Maestro

My cocked hat is from Clearwater and fits like a [strike]glove[/strike] custom hat should... perfect. I also wore a Clearwater round hat for a few years - it looked fine but I ended up selling it because I just couldn't get used to the fit due to that low crown. It could even fall off if I bent over. Then I tried the Townsend fur felt blank but ended up selling that as well... it fit better, but it was blocked in an oval shape and just didn't have the right look, IMHO. To get the right look, regardless of the height of the crown, I believe it needs to be blocked round. If it's the right diameter, it will conform to the shape (oval) of your head. I'm working on getting another now and will post a photo in a couple of weeks.

Clearwater will customize hats as well... at one point, they suggested to me to use the same base hat as the English cocked hat - but not cock it. The top of the crown is almost flat (like a pillbox)... giving a Quaker (Wm. Penn) look. (I realize the original poster already committed to a maker... just a thought for anyone else.)

Draft saved Draft deleted