• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slotting Barrel Lugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane a gress

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have the holes drilled for the pins and the next step is to slot the holes. Kibler`s videos show him using a jewellers saw to make the slot. What size blade should I order to do this? Is there an alternate method that I could use instead? I don't mind ordering the saw and blades if that is what I need. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
A round needle file works just fine. Just make sure you file the slot horizontally and don't widen it vertically. I assume you are slotting the holes to accommodate for stock shrinkage or swelling?

dave

Hi,
A round needle file works just fine. Just make sure you file the slot horizontally and don't widen it vertically. I assume you are slotting the holes to accommodate for stock shrinkage or swelling?

dave
Yes, that correct. I wasn't aware that a small needle file was small enough to fit in the 1/16 hole. The Brownell catalog lists some needle files.

Hi Shane,
I would urge you not to use 1/16" pins for your barrel pins. It is fine for all the others but 5/64" or better 3/32" pins are my choices. Although you may not remove your barrel very often, but the larger pins make that easier and less prone to damage the wood trying to use a tiny pin punch. The larger pins also are less likely to bend or get mushroomed on the ends from a punch. A good tip is to make the pins slightly short of the length needed to be flush on both sides of the stock. When you tap them in flush on one side, they are recessed on the other. The hole then helps prevent the punch from slipping off the pin when punched from the recessed side. The bigger hole in the lug is also easier to file into an oval shape to accommodate movement. However, the tip portion of a rat tailed needle file will fit in a 1/16" hole.

dave

I tried a jewelers saw and needle files not much luck with ether. what I found that does works is a drill or dremel with a 1/16 drill bit. Gently run it and back and forth with light pressure on the left and right side of the hole. Does not take much, about .008 to .010 on each side.

I've always use one of those wire "camp saws" for slotting. While not made for that purpose, they are easy to use in those small lug holes.

Thanks for the info, just needed a little guidance. Dave, the Kibler kits come with 1/16" pins. But should be no problem to drill out to a larger size. I like the idea of the larger diameter pins. Thanks again for your help.

I have the holes drilled for the pins and the next step is to slot the holes. Kibler`s videos show him using a jewellers saw to make the slot. What size blade should I order to do this? Is there an alternate method that I could use instead? I don't mind ordering the saw and blades if that is what I need. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
This is a question I asked of Jim. How to get those slots absolutely precise so the wood can move back and forth without the pin hanging up in the slot. I avoided it simply because I did not want to end up with a sloppy hole and not hold the barrel firmly to the stock.

Kilbler May offer that in the kits. But it would sure have to be precise.

Hi Shane,
I would urge you not to use 1/16" pins for your barrel pins. It is fine for all the others but 5/64" or better 3/32" pins are my choices. Although you may not remove your barrel very often, but the larger pins make that easier and less prone to damage the wood trying to use a tiny pin punch. The larger pins also are less likely to bend or get mushroomed on the ends from a punch. A good tip is to make the pins slightly short of the length needed to be flush on both sides of the stock. When you tap them in flush on one side, they are recessed on the other. The hole then helps prevent the punch from slipping off the pin when punched from the recessed side. The bigger hole in the lug is also easier to file into an oval shape to accommodate movement. However, the tip portion of a rat tailed needle file will fit in a 1/16" hole.

dave
Thank You! Dave, it's little gems of wisdom and experience like this from you that makes life so much easier for we who dabble in the arcane arts of gunsmithing! George.

Last edited:
I had this same challenge with the kibler SMR I completed. These are set up for a 1/16 pin and I just went with that rather than drilling out the existing stock holes. I had to use my 1/16th drill bit to lightly route out the lug slots as I didn't have a saw blade or needle file small enough to fit. It worked but certainly not ideal.

Both my SMR and flint pistol use pins smaller than 1/16. At least a 1/16 pin punch would not go in the stock without binding and enlarging the holes. I found a tiny allen wrench thast works well to ease the pins out.
Haven't cut the wrench to fit in a handle, as a dedicated tool yet, but plan to.

Back