• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Slot in middle of hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok that slot in the front of the hammer seem counter productive if it is there to pull caps off the nipple into the hammer channel well then we all know what’s next disassemble and clean out spent cap jammed in action.
I get a kick out of posters like Thunder14. Start a thread, ask questions, questions answered, and no peep from the OP.

Evidently not very interested.

Sigh.

Regards,

Jim
well some of us actually have a farm or homestead to maintain I don’t have the luxury of sitting on a computer all day looking for things to complain about Apparently like you do.

Suspect he may be referring to the slot on the front of some percussion hammers, most commonly found on double barrel shotguns. Some rifles. I believe it is intended for clearing spent (exploded) caps.
you are so rite in what you said about DBL BRL SXS hammer / rabbit eared muzzle loading shot guns.

Suspect he may be referring to the slot on the front of some percussion hammers, most commonly found on double barrel shotguns. Some rifles. I believe it is intended for clearing spent (exploded) caps.
I would believe that it also might be used for pressure relief on the hammer

Just wondering what is that slot for in the middle of the hammer.
Yeah, it's a screwdriver slot, to tighten the cock-screw. The hole thru the screw top, you can stick a metal thing thru and turn really tight, using leverage to firm it up. Or, as Rytter said, that's true of the percussions. I'm referring to the flintlock jaws & screws.

As others have said, the small slot machined into the face of the hammer on the Colt style revolvers is there to engage the small pins located in the rear of the cylinder between the nipples. This was Colts answer to the need for a safety so the gun could be safely carried with all of the chambers loaded.
To use this feature, rotate the cylinder so that one of the safety pins is lined up with the center of the hammer slot in the frame. Then lower the hammer and move the cylinder until you hear the hammer fall against the back of the cylinder.

The notch was never intended to remove fired caps but some people have found that it sometimes does just that. If this happens, the loose cap can drop into the area where the hammer is and jam the gun.
I also need to mention that some of the reproduction Colt revolvers made by a few Italian companies decided to save money by leaving the safety pins out of their design. These guns won't have the safety pins so the slot in the hammer face is useless.

well some of us actually have a farm or homestead to maintain I don’t have the luxury of sitting on a computer all day looking for things to complain about Apparently like you do.

Hey, pard, my wife and I have a 14-acre mini-farm where we grow grass hay and oats to supply a couple of small local beef ranchers, along with a 250 sq. ft. vegetable garden. We just harvested the hay and oats a few days ago and got 550 50# bales of hay and 70 50# bales of oats from the cutting. The rancher across the road is 85 (and in better shape than me at 68) and we let him have it for free when the local going price is $3/bale for hay. We get a few nice cuts of beef and liver (which I love! and most folks don't). It is our way with helping local folks, especially during these times. We also shop in the "big city" and give quite a bit to the local food bank here (a town of 600+ folks, many of whom are retired and older than we are).

And, yes(!), I do get online a few times per day because I don't watch much TV, don't have a smartphone, don't stream programs, and don't do social media.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. If you post a thread, please respond to the replies with answers to questions asked of you.

Zonie, I will hereby cease and desist in this vein as it is not pertinent to the thread. Apologies.

Regards,

Jim

Thats’ got to be it....that ‘slot’ allows enough ruptured cap material to stick out so a light brush gets the fired one out.

The Colt "pin and notch" arrangement is frankly pretty hammy.

Lots of originals have pins broken off the cylinder, and it's just not a particular strong arrangement from a safety standpoint. The hammer is partially back so has energy and if it slips off that tiny little pin, the gun can easily go off.

The Remington system with the large grooves BETWEEN chambers that accept the hammer face at rest is a far stronger setup. I feel totally confident carrying 6 that way. Not so with the Colts. I carry 5 with the hammer down on an empty chamber with them.

Back