• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sloppy Lockup with Pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought 4 .36 Brass Frame Pietta Navies, just for fun, to make a 4-gun rig for range shooting.

One of the guns , on one chamber, if you grip the cylinder while in lockup, with the hammer down, will come out of lockup if you push toward the "leade" side of the bolt stops.

It won't do it with the hammer cocked. It won't even always do it when the hammer is down.

I'm thinking......one stop notch is a bit oversized? I've never noticed this on any other cap and baller. The hammer seems like it kind of keeps the cylinder locked .

What do we think, is this OK?

I had an "unmentionable " revolver that did this (DW) and they were known for this, you could twist the cylinder out of lockup and no one seemed worried about it.

If you have to use any force at all to twist it out it is not a problem it is a question of tolerances. Since it will not do it on full cock just forget about it. There is a solution but you have to fully understand how the action works and since it is not really a problem just leave it be.

It could very well be that that one is slightly out of spec., or just a noticeable example of tolerance stacking. But I agree with denster - it is not a big enough issue to worry about.

If you have to manipulate it just so to get it to do it - and it doesn't even do it all the time - then I think it is nothing more than a very minor quirk with that particular notch and shouldn't affect normal functioning in the least.

It actually stopped doing it, I played with it again today and all the chambers stayed locked up.

I agree, I think that one stop notch is just a hair too narrow and the cylinder stop doesn't drop in 100%. I think by me testing the lockup a few times by trying to move it out of lockup, it probably just broke in and the harder cylinder stop eventually widened the stop notch that extra fraction of a thousandth of an inch it needed to fully drop in.

Back