• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Slix Shot Nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the claim by many. Duelist1954 has a video on youtube where he installs them on one of his revolvers and claims they reduce fragmentation of caps that cause cap jams. I have no first hand experience with them as of yet.

Don

I put them on both of my 1860 armys. It's like night and day with the difference. Before, I would have a couple cap jams almost every time I shot them. Now, I don't get any. I've also filled in the little grove in the hammer with JB weld.
I had even made a short video showing the difference. I picked a video I had that showed a jam after two shots.

http://youtu.be/ohrpq2eCYbk

Strong recommendation backed up by equally strong visual presentation! Looks like I'll be investigating these in the extremely near future. How important do you think the J B Weld filled hammer space is to the overall omission of the "cap-sucking" phenomenon? Also, any special tips or advice to securing the slix-shot nipples?

How important do you think the J B Weld filled hammer space is to the overall omission of the "cap-sucking" phenomenon? Also, any special tips or advice to securing the slix-shot nipples?[/

ZERO.

Call TOW and order the correct nipples. JB Weld in the garbage.

Why does one need special advice to secure nipples, if specail advice is needed, the product is inferior.

I shoot at the national level, As Issue and Revolver Agg. I do not have caps jamming, nor do those around me.

Order TRESCO nipples and move on.

How did they shoot prior to 1900 without JB Weld?

I bought mine from Long Hunter. http://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=267

Also, the JB weld thing is well documented as a good thing. The nipples alone run 100% better then the factory. I'm just saying the two together makes them run even better.
I also didn't say that Tresco nipples are bad. Fact is I've never used them. The question was about Slix Shot. I use them and have no intention of trying any other.
As far if they had cap jams in the 1800's? I'm am sure they did especially with the 1860 army pistols. Less so with the Remington's. It's just the way they are designed. No way around it.
To the fellow that shoots on a national level with zero cap jams..... You are certainly living large my friend. I shoot cowboy action with the pair of mine and I know of lots of others. We all get jams. The Slix Shots are a great tool to help eliminate the jams as is the JB weld trick.
I don't do anything to secure them. I do put an anti seize coating on the threads to keep them from sticking. Something like what they use for shotgun chokes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used Slix Shot nipples. In fact, prior to this topic being posted I haven't even heard of them.

That said, following the Google link provided above I found this link to the company that makes Slix Shot Nipples.
http://www.cowboygunparts.com/cap-&-ball-nipples.html

It's a rare thing when I read a manufactures comments about their product and don't find some pure BS in it.
This is one of those rare times.

The comments on these nipples and their use and the results one can expect are clear and concise.

As I said, I haven't tried these nipples and I don't know that I would be willing to spend around $36 for 6 nipples but, at least the company seems to be honest. :)

Senor Dollar, your post and video made a believer out of me. That's all I needed to see. I really love cap and ball revolvers, but the hassles encountered with flattened caps getting stuck, requiring jiggling and all sorts of shaking to free them, sometimes failing and getting INSIDE the action, is more than a pita. To be able to pick up your revolver and confidently shoot a cylinder full of round balls seems close to cielo.

I have some installed on my 1851 colt brass frame revolver. I have not tried them yet, so I can't say how good they are, but I will see later.

I am not really too keen on filling the gap in the hammer with JB weld, it seems too extreme a step to take.

I do use the silicon tube cap savers and this usually keeps the spent caps in one piece inside the plastic tube piece where it is easier to tilt the expended cap away.

I am wondering if using the cap savers in combination with slix-shot nipples would cancel out the blow back gasses from escaping from the side vents of the slix-shot nipples.

I still want to try the treso nipples, the hardness and design seems to make sense.

Zonie said:
I haven't used Slix Shot nipples. In fact, prior to this topic being posted I haven't even heard of them.

That said, following the Google link provided above I found this link to the company that makes Slix Shot Nipples.
http://www.cowboygunparts.com/cap-&-ball-nipples.html

It's a rare thing when I read a manufactures comments about their product and don't find some pure BS in it.
This is one of those rare times.

The comments on these nipples and their use and the results one can expect are clear and concise.

As I said, I haven't tried these nipples and I don't know that I would be willing to spend around $36 for 6 nipples but, at least the company seems to be honest. :)

Same here. Never heard of them before. Comments seem to indicate they work fine. But, I do wonder if they last long with the thin walls at the top where the hammer strikes. And, from the description they do not seem to differ much from the popular Hot Shot style nipple. I gave away my last C&B revolver so don't have a need. But, I'll stick with Hot Shots on my perc. rifles for now.

Should have probabaly elaborated on the JB weld thing. First off, its not permanant. It will chip out eventually so it really isn't a big deal. The reason its there in the first place is to put the hammer down between two loaded cylinders. Since I never load six (only five is allowed in SASS shooting plus its just safer) I don't worry about it. I put the hammer down on the unloaded cylinder. I've had these on my pistols for almost a year with none showing any wear.
Shooting these things in competition will make folks do lots of things to them. I've seen some that drill a small hole and insert cut off piece of a drill bit under the hammer to block the spent cap from coming back. I've never done that and most likely won't.
you can read about that here:
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/colt_cap_and_ball.pdf

These articles are very good.... they show how to smooth up these types of pistols. I've done several of these things to mine.

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Uberti_Open_Top_Revolvers_Part_1.pdf
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Uberti_Open_Top_Revolvers_Part_2.pdf
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Uberti_Open_Top_Revolvers_Part_3.pdf
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Uberti_Open_Top_Revolvers_Part_4.pdf

Forgot to add.... hot shot nipples won't fit on pistols.

My old '51 Colt style brasser did not have that gap on the hammer and I still have extra cylinders for it with stock nipples and these don't have the stand-out pin safety feature that the newer revolver has. Because of that I only loaded 5 chambers on any cylinder I had intended to shoot. I sold that pistol 20 some odd years ago and have got a newer one since.

In my old .44 brass revolver I would run 27 of fffg loads through it. I would not run anymore than 25 through my new one and want to stick to loads from 18 to 22 of fffg through my current brass revolver.

Bigger loads I will want to use my steel frame Remington, that is until I get a steel frame Colt. I like the balance on the Colt more than the '58.

Hopefully with the lighter loads it won't blowback so much into the hammer gap to the point of sticking, still no guarantees.

Johnny - None of these links worked for me. Just got the big white screen with the big blue letters "THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED"

Anyone else have that trouble?

Let me check the links. If I can't make the links work, I have the documents in PDF format I can email.

I have no idea why it wont let me fix the links. The web page is correct in my preview but it changes it to something else when I submit it.
The web site where the articules are on "the open range.net" but when I put those words together this forum changes them to just "forum" and the links wont work.
Anyway, they are worth the read. If you PM me with an email address, I'll send the links that way. You will need Adobe reader.

also if you click like you're going to reply to my post with the links as a quote, you will see the correct links in the text of the quote. This is so odd that its doing that.

Rule # 24 states, "Do not post links that make members automatically download files.".

The links you attempted to post are directly to pdf downloads.

The Forum's computer changed the name of the site you used in the link to prevent the files from automatically downloading on to whoever clicked the link computer.

Although in this case the links could be useful to our members, automatically downloaded links are not always so benign.

For those who want to see these files, I suggest they copy the text within the quotes below.

Enter it into a Google Search engine (or whichever web search engine you want to use).

It should come up with the selectable files.

These files are Adobe pdf files so your computer must have Adobe on it. If it doesn't, you won't be able to read the downloads.

"Tuning the Uberti Open Top Revolvers"

(For those of you who missed it, I said, COPY the text within the quotes and use it to search the web. You can't just click on it and have something happen. :grin: )

Zonie, sorry about that! Even when I just put the web site name (just the domain) with no other link, it changes it.
Anyway, I appoligize for that blunder. Good thing you guys protect us from our selves. :)
The search criteria will work that you provided. So thanks for that!

Back