• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sling swivels on Bess Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumbleweeds13

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy boys, I seek your guidance. I've got a Brown Bess carbine from Pedersoli. I picked up a set of sling swivels for it since the carbines don't come with them. The one at the trigger guard is a no brainer, however I seem to remember reading somewhere that you need to mount the forward swivel through the stock and an under barrel rib for it to be strong enough. The local gunsmith (who had a carbine himself and put swivels on it) says you just have to drill through the wood. My common sense says that if you do drill through the wood near the front pin that holds the barrel to the stock, it should be adequate. What do you gentlemen think? Thanks in advance for your input.
Wildcat

I would think the cross-pin-type swivel as sold by Track would be just fine. They have on for underribs, like the one I used on my English sporting rifle, and one for going through wood as used on the muskets. I don't see why it wouldn't be strong enough, as long s the wood is of good quality and in sound condition.

Back