• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sling stud fix

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VJM

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up a used Thompson stock to refinish, it has a sling swivel stud installed that is off center. I doubt that I can match the wood grain any good at all so am thinking of just filling the hole and redrilling it hopefully closer to center and the stud should cover most if not all of the old refilled hole. Would PC Woody be suitable for this or does anyone have a better suggestion....thanks!

Drill the hole large enough to remove the threads and glue in a piece of wood (dowel). The wood will be much stronger than filler and can be stained to camouflage the repair.

I would do as Blackhand suggests. or if it's close enough to the butt maybe put a toe-plate on it.

Sounds like a better idea, I am a traditional archery guy and have a bunch of 11/32" Douglas fir shafting that might work well. Thanks

Another vote for Blackhands fix,
Either way, you and people you point it out to, are going to be the only ones to notice.

You could put a hardwood dowel in, then put an oval shaped brass inlay and place the stud in the center, to give it a unique finished look.

Just another idea.

I'd go w/ a toeplate if the hole is w/in a reasonably long one.. Put one on all my builds that have slings.

1/8" thick steel is used and the stud w/ a transverse hole for attaching the sling is riveted to the plate. A couple of screws attach the toeplate.....Fred

Back