• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sling Options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a sling that will work with a couple of Pedersoli guns. One is a Trade gun (musket) and the other is a Kentucky rifle. I have a couple that just slip over the barrel but the sights on these guns are set so low that the sling interferes with the sight picture. Are there options that use the barrel pins somehow? What sling options are there? They need not be period correct. I'm open to DIY options as well as long as they don't require too much skill.

Don't slip it over the barrel put it between the barrel and ramrod below the thimble done deal

If you are lugging this rifle for distances or in terrain that make you want to sling carry I'd suggest butt up and muzzle down behind your shoulder. I would put a condom on the muzzle incase of a fall.
Try bringing the rifle to a hurried mount multiple times from both shoulders to determine which carry suits best.
Think about how and where to carry powder and ball or shot. It has to jibe well with your slung rifle. I lug a lot of ammo to a range. Unless it is doves or waterfowl I rarely carry more than 6 extra shots in the field.

Any chance you can show me a picture of this? I can picture this working with a half-stock, like a Hawken type. But a full stock where the ramrod fits into an inlet channel? I'm lost there.

If you are lugging this rifle for distances or in terrain that make you want to sling carry I'd suggest butt up and muzzle down behind your shoulder. I would put a condom on the muzzle incase of a fall.
Try bringing the rifle to a hurried mount multiple times from both shoulders to determine which carry suits best.
Think about how and where to carry powder and ball or shot. It has to jibe well with your slung rifle. I lug a lot of ammo to a range. Unless it is doves or waterfowl I rarely carry more than 6 extra shots in the field.
Carrying muzzle down on a standard hunting rifle can easily get your crown beat up out here. Learned this from experience. The only ones I can carry muzzle down are things with 18" barrels & such (not muzzleloaders). Even then, not all the time. It can work when walking the trail one direction but not the other.

When the trail gets tough, my rifles get slung muzzle up across my back or are in my hand on the downhill side where I can control the gun with one hand & my fall with the other hand. I can't even imagine the damage that would be caused by carrying muzzle down on something like a kentucky rifle. The crown would be hanging below my shins & would scrape the side of the hill as I walk. If the rear sling attachment hung from the trigger guard, like an older musket, then I might be able to keep the muzzle around knee level. Better. But still not great. Probably fine for flatter, wider sections of trail. Those are few & far between, though. This is very rugged country.

Carrying muzzle down on a standard hunting rifle can easily get your crown beat up out here. Learned this from experience. The only ones I can carry muzzle down are things with 18" barrels & such (not muzzleloaders). Even then, not all the time. It can work when walking the trail one direction but not the other.

When the trail gets tough, my rifles get slung muzzle up across my back or are in my hand on the downhill side where I can control the gun with one hand & my fall with the other hand. I can't even imagine the damage that would be caused by carrying muzzle down on something like a kentucky rifle. The crown would be hanging below my shins & would scrape the side of the hill as I walk. If the rear sling attachment hung from the trigger guard, like an older musket, then I might be able to keep the muzzle around knee level. Better. But still not great. Probably fine for flatter, wider sections of trail. Those are few & far between, though. This is very rugged country.
Hills here, but few are very steep. I take your point. What I do here in many respects may not travel well to other locations.

Some while ago, I put my mind to devising a way to sling a short-barreled gun in such a way that it could be brought into action quickly if, say, a large predator should ambush from twenty feet away. This was for a bookverse, not the real world. At first I considered a "top sling" such as I improvised for my M16. That just didn't seem to work well, and as it would have to be on the firing shoulder, I would have to move my possibles bag and horn to the other shoulder, which didn't work well for me.

Eventually, I determined that such a gun could be slung muzzle down behind the non-firing shoulder such that it was a quick and natural motion to bring it to the opposite shoulder. As others have pointed out, this works fine with short-barreled guns, but not so much for anything with a 28" barrel or longer over rough terrain.

Question: has anyone had issues with the ball & patch moving off the powder charge when the gun is carried this way?

Would not think it would move any more than a rifle being carried across the pummel on a saddle on a horse and bouncing around.

Back