• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sling on a Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Will

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Wow I have been part of this site for just a few hours and I have already learned so much. The tang sights for the Hawken are pretty sweet. Anyone drill a sling mount into one. Anything I should worry about other then the thin wood where the rod is? Is this utterly stupid and I should be shot for asking.

Thunder Kiss said:
Wow I have been part of this site for just a few hours and I have already learned so much. The tang sights for the Hawken are pretty sweet. Anyone drill a sling mount into one. Anything I should worry about other then the thin wood where the rod is? Is this utterly stupid and I should be shot for asking.

The only "stupid question" is the one unasked... :wink:
You Can drill the butt but you get a rod thimble with a slig attachment on it OR....I prefer the lace on slings that do NOT require any metal nor mar the wood in any way....just my preferance. :thumbsup:

Thanks fellas. I will check that out... I really didn't want to drill the stock. It's prob one of the nicest pieces of furniture I have ever seen.

Built a Stith Hawken 3 yrs ago and used a 1/8" thick toe plate w/ a riveted stud for a swivel attachment. The front sling attachment was made from 1/8" dia. steel, shaped into sort of a triangle and fit into a groove in the under rib and lays on the RR pipe. The customer likes the arrangement...no hole in the butt and everything is detachable using a different toe plate.....Fred

I've got the same sling linked at TOW, though I picked up mine one day in Cabelas. I'll go along with it being the best slip-on sling on the market.

One thing to keep in mind though. If your front sight is short like some original and traditional-styled guns, the leather band around the barrel obscures the sight, so you can't shoot with it in place. Just a small detail to check on, and not really a big deal.

In truth, I almost never hunt with mine on the rifle. I keep it rolled up in my bag for long hikes before hunts, and especially for slinging the rifle while I bring out game. For that it's dandy.

Only muzzleloader that would get a sling by me is a fowler that is built for a sling or maybe a musket that was built for a sling.

The way I hunt, having a sling on a ml would be like hunting pheasants with a sling and carrying the shot gun slung. :haha:

The front sling attachment point can be an Uncle Mike's Quick Detachable Super Swivel #1051-2 which is for 1" slings. It is for clamping on the ammo tube on a lever action like a Marlin 1894 and will fit around a ramrod thimble with an OD of .540 to .590.

Good point. I did that on one of my GPRs. There's a trick for using them, though. There are several models for different diameters tubes. You'll have the best luck with "sticking" if you select the one that puts your tube diameter right in the middle of the adjustment range. For the GPR, IIRC it's the next size larger than the #1051-2.

Long as we're on the subject, I use a "cross breed" sling with that setup on my GPR. I replaced the bottom end of a quick release sling with the looped end of a slip-on shotgun sling. Slip the loop over the butt of the rifle before attaching the top to the stud, and the loop comes up to the trigger guard and stops. Works dandy.

This was nagging at my brain (hate it when that happens), so I got off my butt and miked the tube on my GPR. It came in right at .550, so you're in the range Rummer, but I was wrong about going to the next size larger. I can't locate it at the moment, but I'd check the size range on the next smaller size before buying, though, in order to hit the middle of the range a little closer if possible.

Iv'e got one of the slip on slings also. I usually don't use it while hunting either, but it sure is nice on a long hike.

Latest posts

Back