• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sling: Is there a way to install a sling on a half stock Hawken that does not interfer with the ramrod. Thanks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mttrapper

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Is there a way to use a sling on a half stock Hawken that does not interfere with the ramrod.

Drill through the rib so the sling swivel lands on the pipe. I did it on a halfstock for hunting. Measure the thin part of he rib and order or make one that will just span the rib or bend it to fit.. Just make sure the hole is square to the rib, and the bit is sized for a snug fit on the screw. Doesn't take a very big screw to hold 10lbs. of rifle, but the swivel will come with one. You will have to go with it.

Last edited:
T/C made one that replaced their thimble which you could attach a sling.

My sling is on the sleeve, rifle goes into the sleeve. I just pull out the rifle for stalking, and wear the sleeve. And the sleeve protects the rifle going thru water, brush, or falling, not that we sure-footed fellows would ever trip and fall.....Tinhorn

I’ve put what might be called a military type sling swivel (you will see them on Jaegers) on a half stock. You will need to drill a hole through the under barrel rib, plus add some flats to the rib (so the swivel can move or ‘swivel’) and use something (LocTite) to keep it from coming loose. Also may want to use a ‘button’ (not sure what it is called) on the bottom of the stock to hold the other end of the sling. Both can be purchased from TOW. If you go this route, make sure the swivel rests against the ramrod pipe, or you will have difficulties putting your ramrod in place
1591667792177.jpeg

1591667920226.jpeg

Another option is to use a sling swivel setup like TC used to offer, as someone else mentioned, if you can find one that works on your gun.
1591668020965.jpeg

I just file a radiused slot from the backside side of the rib and use a "Y" shaped length of coat hanger for attaching the sling. The location of the sling attachment rests on the RR pipe so as to not interedere w/ inserting the RR......Fred
P1010003.JPG

Is there a way to use a sling on a half stock Hawken that does not interfere with the ramrod.
On all of my rifles I have made leather butt covers , they stay attached all the time. They also protect the bottom
Of the stock when placed on the forest floor, and provide some recoil protection . Nothing fancy but they work. As for the fore end I have one that is attached all the time on the rod pipe. All the others the sling is wrapped around
The barrel , they don't interfere with the sights . Just attach the sling to the stock and fore end. Simple and effective
For me and I like simple.
GUNNYR
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

On all of my rifles I have made leather butt covers , they stay attached all the time. They also protect the bottom
Of the stock when placed on the forest floor, and provide some recoil protection . Nothing fancy but they work. As for the fore end I have one that is attached all the time on the rod pipe. All the others the sling is wrapped around
The barrel , they don't interfere with the sights . Just attach the sling to the stock and fore end. Simple and effective
For me and I like simple.
GUNNYRView attachment 33645View attachment 33646

Back