• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sling for muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I seen a sling on a Renegade that I like and was wondering where to get one. It was made of leather and it was just a pocket for the rifle butt and a leather strap that wrapped around the barrel.

Do they sell them somewhere or is that something I have to make myself?

Dixon's Muzzle Loading, Kempton, Pa. had a universal sling that was made out of really nice leather. I have one on my Lyman Trade Rifle. This sling will fit on many rifles. Give Greg a call, he will help you. The sling is made exactly as you describe that you are looking for.

This one is on my Tennessee rifle.
I think it came from October country muzzleloaders .
20200430_163607.jpg

DO NOT
Leave them on the rifle overnight.
The leather on the butt and that around the barrel may leech out tanning acids if the leather gets wet from a mist or a little rain while you're in the woods.
Leaving it on overnight may cause rust on a steel butt plate, and on the barrel where the leather rests. ;)

LD

DO NOT
The leather on the butt and that around the barrel may leech out tanning acids if the leather gets wet from a mist or a little rain while you're in the woods.
Leaving it on overnight may cause rust on a steel butt plate, and on the barrel where the leather rests. ;)

LD
Good to know.

It may or may not be correct but I'd consider duping that design using canvas or the cuff end of an old pants leg/jacket arm for the butt stock part, then rope or rawhide strips or similar (maybe several pieces tied in a solomon bar or braided etc) up to the front end.

DO NOT

LD
Good thought, but wonder if issue is the same with veggie tanned leather?

Personally, between the range and the house, worry about a lot things. In hunting camp, only worry about things that keep things functional. I wouldn’t worry about external rust or wood finish unless I had the time and inclination.

For example in camp I use boiling water to clean dirty bores. Fast and effective, leaving DRY CLEAN bore. Possibility of flash rust, yes, though I haven’t experienced it. And if I did, would address when back home, not worrying about it in camp. An easy fix once home, but opportunities one will experience in camp may never come around again. Not the time to try and keep things pretty. Time to use (and abuse if necessary) items for the primary purpose they were intended.

Just a different perspective.

One was listed here on the forum in the last little while. don't know if it sold or not.

We (about 5 of us) all use these ‘universal’ slings from The Leatherman Products.

You do have to watch out for the front piece to make sure that it does not obscure your front sight, but they are reliable and none of us have had an issue with one when carrying our rifles or muskets.

They also make other types slings, like if you have a Fowler that has the ‘button’ behind the trigger guide to hold the back end of the sling.

Excellent quality The Leatherman Products are!

Link = RS-5008 Universal Sling

1B05FDC1-7038-4C42-9B2F-F4E7A6532DA5.jpeg

DO NOT

LD
I have a T/C suede leather one that I have had (along with a matching T/C shooting bag) for about 26 years). It will also patina any brass with which it comes into contact, if left on for any length of time. Ask me how I know…😎

This one is on my Tennessee rifle.
I think it came from October country muzzleloaders .View attachment 81089

I bought that same one but it didn’t fit my particular gun well and I didn’t like the leather as I wanted something softer. So I took that kit and used it as a template to cut, glue, sew and lace my own last night. Don’t laugh- it’s my first attempt at leather craft. I’d do it differently next time but isn’t that the way with all things?

:)

Attachments

• E806CBF3-8850-44E9-9FF6-A5BFD1D41A22.jpeg
    E806CBF3-8850-44E9-9FF6-A5BFD1D41A22.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DD89EEF9-CFDB-484C-960B-95B04CABD6FE.jpeg
    DD89EEF9-CFDB-484C-960B-95B04CABD6FE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I bought that same one but it didn’t fit my particular gun well and I didn’t like the leather as I wanted something softer. So I took that kit and used it as a template to cut, glue, sew and lace my own last night. Don’t laugh- it’s my first attempt at leather craft. I’d do it differently next time but isn’t that the way with all things?

:)
Nothing wrong with that. Simple and it works. I like it.

my issue was the sling was blocking the front sight on my kentucky 50 cal. so I just got rid of mine. until i can find a nice front sling mount , I ain't using this set up

Latest posts

Back