• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sling attachment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregononeshot

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking into adding a sling to my GPR. I have looked at a few slings that slide off/on, but don't think I can use the gun with it on since my front sight sits fairly low. I was thinking of replacing the screw on the bottom of my butt stock that holds the metal butt plate on with a sling stud. My question is on the front attachment. I found some sling attachments on TOW that look like they attach to the thing my ramrod slides down (don't know what it's called). How do I know what size to get, and how do I attach them? Drill a hole in the ramrod holder and attach it like that or what? Thanks for the help

I My question is on the front attachment. I found some sling attachments on TOW that look like they attach to the thing my ramrod slides down (don't know what it's called). How do I know what size to get, and how do I attach them? Drill a hole in the ramrod holder and attach it like that or what? Thanks for the help

Since no one else answered your question, I'll give it a go. First, though, I must say even though I've made a pretty fair number of different means to attach front sling swivels on modern and muzzle loading firearms, I've never actually done it on a Lyman GPR.

A highly valued and unfortunately recently deceased forum member, Brown Bear, wrote this about mounting the front sling swivel on a GPR. " If you want to put a sling on your GPR/GPH, measure the diameter of the front ramrod pipe, then get that size of Uncle Mike's clamp-on sling swivel base intended for rifles with tubular magazines. Clamp that on."

Personally, I have never had good luck with these kinds of front sling swivels on guns with tubes, but I"m sure if Brown Bear was still with us, he would explain it in more detail. He was a serious hunter in Alaska, so I might think of trying it that way.

Personally, I would first check to see if the Under Rib is Solid Steel, though someone else on the forum may know that. If so, then I would drill a hole in the Under Rib that a front sling swivel retaining screw would go through the Under Rib and the hole carefully positioned so the Loop of the Sling Swivel would rest RIGHT ON TOP of the Rear Thimble, similar to shown in the photo link immediately following this paragraph. (If the Loop would just come over the Ramrod, the leather sling might/would interfere with use of the ramrod.)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fR0gC31WSxs/UKTwh6LPLjI/AAAAAAAA6tc/WBID0Er0peY/s1600/100_0028.jpg

Gus

I have used the clamp-on studs made for tubular magazine rifles and they work fine. As stated above, measure your thimble diameter to make sure you get the right size.

I have one of those nice looking linen slings with the leather loop on the ends , for "swivel-less" attachment. Dixie has them. The front loop fits tight and you shove it down toward the fore stock, it doesn't interfere with the ramrod. It looks nice and "period" too.

Also you can go on FleaBay and turn up those new old stock Triple K or CVA brand "primitive " slings.

I had this set-up on a TC Hawken once . Worked fine. I was wondering if the same could be configured for a Lyman but just check mine and it appears the guides are soldered in place and probably not thick enough to hold the stud threads. I think I would go with the magazine tube style.
upload_2019-8-10_16-10-38.jpeg

413677.jpg

Thanks guys! I ordered a set today that fit the width of my ramrod holder. Should be a good fit, thanks!

Update. Received the sling attachments today. The clamp on section fits perfect, but be careful. The small Allen head screw you use to attach it is soft metal and will round very easily (trust me on this) so be careful when tightening. The butt stock stud needed a bigger hole drilled in the wood as well as the metal butt plate, but it works great. Very happy with the way it turned out

Latest posts

Back