• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Slight crack in powder horn tip - any ideas on how to repair?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy folks, here's a new one for ya. I was loading up my Hatfield and my gear a while ago to go hunting, and foolishly placed my bag in the ground next to my truck while opening the doors. Well, I get to where I'm going, and sure enough, there's no bag!

You know what that means. Yep - it got stepped on by my back tire. Miraculously almost nothing was damaged at all, aside from my pride, a smashed tea bottle, and the very tip of my powder horn. The plug still seats in there snug, but obviously I don't want it getting any worse. A quick search reveals maybe some melted beeswax, some super glue, or some sort of epoxy as potential options. But I figured it always helps to ask the experts.

I'll leave some pictures. As you can see, it cracked in two places, all the way through but only at the tip. I sort of doubt beeswax is going to keep it from splitting any further, although keeping it natural would be great if there are other options out there.

Attachments

• PXL_20211212_213715786.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211212_213715786.MP.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 155
  • PXL_20211212_213701315.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211212_213701315.MP.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 155
Howdy folks, here's a new one for ya. I was loading up my Hatfield and my gear a while ago to go hunting, and foolishly placed my bag in the ground next to my truck while opening the doors. Well, I get to where I'm going, and sure enough, there's no bag!

You know what that means. Yep - it got stepped on by my back tire. Miraculously almost nothing was damaged at all, aside from my pride, a smashed tea bottle, and the very tip of my powder horn. The plug still seats in there snug, but obviously I don't want it getting any worse. A quick search reveals maybe some melted beeswax, some super glue, or some sort of epoxy as potential options. But I figured it always helps to ask the experts.

I'll leave some pictures. As you can see, it cracked in two places, all the way through but only at the tip. I sort of doubt beeswax is going to keep it from splitting any further, although keeping it natural would be great if there are other options out there.
Bubba has a good idea! A second choice is to whack off about 3" and replace with a cone shaped chunk of curly maple.
Larry

Yes like tomahawk said, I’d just carefully separate the crack as much as I could. I’d then do one of these repairs, I’d either use super glue, try and push some epoxy in it or just rub some beeswax in it. That crack isn’t that terrible…

If you want it to look like it use to do what "Shorthanded" said, use Super Glue, the thin type. I use it on Things I make in my shop that have hair line cracks. It works like a charm!

Well, just to update all of ya, I did decide to go the route of using a sinew wrap. I ordered some the other day, so I'll post some pictures when it shows up and I get around to making the repair. I may or may not also put some thin super glue in there as well, because as I like to say, don't get aboard unless you're prepared to go overboard! But I think the sinew wrap would add some nice character at any rate so I'll be doing that regardless.

Super glue will fix the crack better than anything else, I would put a small piece of masking tape inside the spout to cover up the crack, press it down very well to form a dam to keep the superglue from running through into the horn. The key is to not clamp the crack closed after you fill it with superglue, the more superglue in the crack filling the void the better the bond.

As a bow maker I have filled hundreds of similar cracks with super glue, none have ever opened up later.

This bow had 13 drying checks down the back, all filled with superglue, it is still shooting, I made it in 2003.

filled check2.jpg

Once you decide the best repair method, I think you should trim up your stopper, it looks too thick at the top and is likely the reason for the cracks in the first place. my $.02 only.

That could very well be a good idea either way, although if I had to guess, I'd think the tire on my truck did most of the work... There was no crack whatsoever before that happened. But I'll probably take you up on the advice anyways while I'm already working on the horn.

Epoxy?

That could very well be a good idea either way, although if I had to guess, I'd think the tire on my truck did most of the work... There was no crack whatsoever before that happened. But I'll probably take you up on the advice anyways while I'm already working on the horn.
my apologies - I would also guess the tire was responsible! Your call on the stopper but now that it is compromised... Post pics when you have finished the repair

my apologies - I would also guess the tire was responsible! Your call on the stopper but now that it is compromised... Post pics when you have finished the repair

You betcha. The sinew should arrive on Saturday, according to the tracking number. If I have some time to get it done this weekend, I'll post the results!

Spread the crack open a tiny bit and apply super glue to both cracks and immediately allow the cracks to close back up. You want it sealed airtight to keep your powder dry. Any voids can be filled in with repeated applications of super glue, always in thin layers. The dried super glue can be scraped down to surface level with single edge razor blade held perpendicular to the surface. Then with a bit of polishing it will be damn near invisible, air and water tight and ready to be safely wrapped in sinew if so desired.

Back