Skychief Smoothbore Load Recipe........

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

hinamanra

Big Bore
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'd try it without and with the shot cups and get a side by side comparison, you may not even want the shot cup anymore. Just my 1 cent.

hinamanra

Big Bore
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Shot cup! What shot cup?
Thank you both.

I hope to hit the patterning board tomorrow and try the soaked and waxed wads over a paper shot cup.
I might try and soak a few in coconut oil instead of olive oil as it solidifies when cooked. Looking for less mess than the drippy olive oil wads. Otherwise I may see about making a bamboo/cane, or birchbark tube, container for them. I have been trying to reduce the amount of stuff I carry overall, and the number of hard bodied separate containers specifically.

That one

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Testing was inconclusive. My club's patterning board is trashed, and I forgot my big roll of plain paper in use as a backer. Not sure I could have hung it anyway, not enough of the board left.
So. I couldn't tell if the lack of shot at point of aim was due to pattern or to missing. One test shot had a good pattern on part of the small target, but to the left of the point of aim.

I have tested the load without the cup and saw improved patterns with my lighter squirrel and small game load.
I don't really want to get rid of the paper cartridge/shot cup as it is a far easier way to carry reloads afield. But. We shall see what further testing develops.

Reaction score
In the next few days I'll be out at the board. Going to test 80 grain 2f, 2 over powder cards, 1 & 1/4 oz 5 shot, lubed fiber wad. The second is the same but shot is in a paper shotcup. Third is the same as both but will vary powder down to 70 grain. Hoping for some good results.

Latest posts

Group Builder