• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Skychief Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Follett

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Will someone please explain to me what a "Skychief load" is? Thanks in advance.

Will someone please explain to me what a "Skychief load" is? Thanks in advance.
My understanding is, load powder, nitro card, shot, over shot card, then the heavily lubed cushion wad on top of it all. It has been put forth that it may be acting as a wind break thereby preventing shot spread for some distance from the muzzle.

And....has anyone tried this and does it work or not .......
There are pages of topic/and reply on this forum regarding the load's effectiveness. At least one member with improved patterns from a jug choked barrel that previously produced worse than expected patterns post-jug choking.
If one reads carefully on the replys with moderate to no success, one finds the person changed something from the load as initially described by Skychief.

Got this result with a slight variation of the Skychief load today. I used 4 overshot cards in place of the nitro card. I found that when shooting with a nitro card I was getting a donut pattern, though the standard Skychief load still significantly reduced pattern size.

Also, dont mind the artwork!

Attachments

• 20200420_134140.jpg
    20200420_134140.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 337
Got this result with a slight variation of the Skychief load today. I used 4 overshot cards in place of the nitro card. I found that when shooting with a nitro card I was getting a donut pattern, though the standard Skychief load still significantly reduced pattern size.

Also, dont mind the artwork!
The art work is very impressive.
Outstanding pattern 👍

Well, I'm out of the game land early. I thought my only companions for the morning would be the birds and those items in the photo. Three young lads had other ideas as they tramped and stamped all around the woods, sort of messing up my set up. So be it, maybe they won't be there later and the birds could be back. Heard quite a few above me on the ridge this morning but didn't get to let the Skychief load fly.

Attachments

• 20200502_084817.jpg
    20200502_084817.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 255
I have a slate, a small wood box call, and by mouth. When I was little I didnt know people had a plastic thing in their mouth that made them sound like a turkey, so I practiced at making turkey sounds in my throat. I can put and ki-ki well, purr isn't so good. By the time I learned about mouth calls I didn't need one.

Ah, the joys of public land.

I guess I should be more positive, at least we have public land to hunt on.

Nice set up. What will you he using for a call?
That is a great attitude that I need to keep in mind. Yesterday's hunt may have gotten messed up, but that land is there tomorrow for me to go back to. Game lands have given me many fine squirrel hunts, pheasant hunts, and a few good deer hunts, and many nice days in the woods. Glad we have them.

Back