• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief load question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Mortimer

32 Cal
Reaction score
I probably missed reading it, but how long should one soak a 1/2 in. Fiber wad in olive oil to get it saturated?
Hope to do some load development for my fowling piece over the winter.
Thanks.

Weigh them! When they stop gaining weight they have soaked up all the oil they can. Once you determine the time, just use the clock from then on as long as you use the same wad & oil.

I soak them for a half hour or so. Cant imagine soaking them for a day. My guess is that they would soften to the point of working against denser patterns, due to disintegration.

Good luck, Skychief.

Soaking them in bore butter or olive oil beeswax combination works just as well and gives me modified to full choke performance out to 40 yards. Takes about 10 minutes with either one on the stove. I prefer the heavy solidified soaked wool felt. As they do not dry out as much and retain their weight. Try both and see how they pattern. Good luck to you sir.

Skychief, with an apology to Mr. Mortimer for a slight thread drift, have you noted any problems with using the olive oil soaked over wads in sub zero hunting conditions? To further elaborate, we will occasionally have sub freezing temperatures during our squirrel season which is open until the end of February and I understand that olive oil will start to freeze at near 40 F depending on additives. If you have any thoughts, anecdotes or empirical data I will appreciate reading about it.

Have y’all tried any sizes of buskshot with this loading? Thinking of use on pigs.
Ask this in another SkyChief load discussion but this one seems more active.
Thanks for any ideas.

In the sub freezing temperatures, just use the oil with no wax. It will start to freeze but still have some flex.
One of the more popular lubes for wads is a mix of wax melted in oil heated in a double boiler. Mostly its one part of bee's wax and 4 to 7 parts of oil. The winter mix would use more oil for a softer lube when it solidifies.

One of the more popular lubes for wads is a mix of wax melted in oil heated in a double boiler. Mostly its one part of bee's wax and 4 to 7 parts of oil. The winter mix would use more oil for a softer lube when it solidifies.

As I read his protocol it cites olive oil and my question was specifically regarding that point.

It will make little difference whether you use olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, corn oil, almond oil or any other cooking grade oil in the oil and wax mix. Some oils have a a higher smoking temperature or freezing temperature. Olive oil will certainly works.

Certainly straight olive oil Extra Virgin or cheap plain olive oil can be used. No wax necessary. To prevent the olive oil from freezing, keep your olive oil soaked wads in a container that you keep in an inside pocket that will be maintained above freezing temperatures. The few seconds that the wad is removed from the container won't be long enough for it to freeze.

It will make little difference whether you use olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, corn oil, almond oil or any other cooking grade oil in the oil and wax mix. Some oils have a a higher smoking temperature or freezing temperature. Olive oil will certainly works.

Certainly straight olive oil Extra Virgin or cheap plain olive oil can be used. No wax necessary. To prevent the olive oil from freezing, keep your olive oil soaked wads in a container that you keep in an inside pocket that will be maintained above freezing temperatures. The few seconds that the wad is removed from the container won't be long enough for it to freeze.

You must deal with some very patient small game.

Wax is not part of the normal Skychief load cushion and lube.
Olive oil doesn't freeze at 40 degrees. It will start you congeal before that and seem like a solid grease around 40, put some in your fridge and test it. I sincerely doubt it would be a problem even at 30 degrees though. Might even be a benefit while loading, less mess?
I tried a small batch of wads soaked in olive oil then quickly dipped in melted beeswax to form a very thin layer over the wad hoping to reduce the drippy mess of the soaked wads. Moderately successful.

Have y’all tried any sizes of buskshot with this loading? Thinking of use on pigs.
Ask this in another SkyChief load discussion but this one seems more active.
Thanks for any ideas.
I think for this purpose I might do some research and experiments with the classic, "candle load." In the case of using buckshot on pigs, or deer, or any shot on coyotes,,, I figure one isn't as concerned if the load "slugs" so something that mechanically holds the shot together longer is worth a try.

Back