• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

skills learned

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
when I got started in Muzzleloading I found I didn't know how to do much along the way I picked up woodworking, metalworking , blacksmithing, tool making, leather working. cast bullets, even how to sharpen my knife... any one in the same boat picking up new skills?

All the time. Not into gun building so I haven't picked up much metal working through this hobby. But, I've gained more knowledge of proper leather work, and am trying to build some skill at it. I've gained knowledge of period sewing, and of natural eyes, skill with sewing, well, not so much, yet. Many of the skills we use I picked up in Boy Scouts or through other interests, primitive fire making (from hand/bow drill through flint and steel), knife and axe/tomahawk sharpening, old school (pre GPS) land navigation, and others. Some needed some modification to fit my time period of interest, but that was part of learning about the time period.

If your not learning and growing, your withering and dying.

I picked up woodworking, metalworking , blacksmithing, tool making, leather working. cast bullets, even how to sharpen my knife... any one in the same boat picking up new skills?
Skills?
You just named off 5 "skills" that can take a lifetime to master.
I have learned a ton here, more then one life lesson.
I have been able to gain practiced abilities through this forum and it's shared knowledge from the masters that are here. I have become somewhat proficient with some of those endeavors.
I have some skills.
But I can't claim them here,, as there are true craftsmen here in this section of the forum as well as others that I continue to learn from.
And some are 1st time posters!!

Last edited:
when I got started in Muzzleloading I found I didn't know how to do much along the way I picked up woodworking, metalworking , blacksmithing, tool making, leather working. cast bullets, even how to sharpen my knife... any one in the same boat picking up new skills?

My general consensus is that reading about so said skills is all fine and dandy but being a mere pup in my endeavors application is very important for continued learning.

With this lifestyle fortunately it's not a life and death matter as it was in the period, however I myself still always keep a humble mind and love to learn. Being able to self sustain oneself and family IMO is a very admirable quality many lack in todays hustle and bustle. I personally am more comfortable in the forest than anywhere else.

There is a wealth of knowledge here, unfortunately many new members tend to quickly judge and take constructive criticism and advice to personal. In the grand scheme of things when you actually trek and apply the skills some of that advice passed up honestly could lead to life or death if ignored. Nature is beautiful and unforgiving and requires respect. Learning to cope and live as one with nature is always a continuation of life long learning, conversing with others on experiences here is one thing I love. You going to talk the walk you better walk the talk.

I'm not trying to say I have mastered theses skills but I've learned a considerable amount more than I started with.

Sounds familiar enough. In all honesty, there are some skills I'm perfectly content not to bother learning. Blacksmithing tops the list. I admire those who do it, I don't care to, however.

Sounds familiar enough. In all honesty, there are some skills I'm perfectly content not to bother learning. Blacksmithing tops the list. I admire those who do it, I don't care to, however.
Cruzatte,
I can understand that to a degree but in time, with a dabble here and there, maybe a lesson learned in person from a friend who has the skill or some of it you a learn a morsel at a time where you can.
I may never smith gun parts but making a flint striker or a small knife blade or a blanket pin might be enlightening in accomplishing something you didn't think you could (or wanted to) do.
I have picked up on (no where close to mastering any) skills with the craft simply because I saw a need for an item that I couldn't afford to buy outright or felt was something that needed to be a product of my own hand.
Sooner or later your skills pile up and after a while (with a healthy thirst for knowledge) you round out yourself with the skills those from the past had acquired not only to survive but thrive and profit from their skills.
They made a great deal of their own gear, made repairs in the field, trapped and hunted game that they processed and marketed themselves and in doing so became masters of the necessary skills.
I don't know if I can do that but I plan on giving it a go where and how I can

Actually, when I singled out black smithing, I was thinking about the investment in raw materials; coal, and iron; the basic tools a smith would have to purchase before he could go to work, like an anvil, not to mention shop space, and a forge.

That they made their own gear is a nice romantic fiction. But the trade inventories just don't bear that out. Trade knives were dirt cheap and shipped by the hogshead to the New World. So were all kinds and sizes of axes. Even moccasins were for sale at Bent's Fort.

Bullet pouches, and powder horns, along with their future contents were also items of trade, and could be found at Detroit, Ft. Union, St. Louis, Montreal, most anywhere merchants catered to those in the fur trapping and hide hunting business.

I will say this in favor of making one's own gear in the modern world: It may save a few bucks, and it will definitely give one a sense of well earned pride. However it will take time, repetition, and some failures along the way to do one craft well.

And to anyone looking into a related craft of our hobby, I would advise choosing only one early on, and concentrate on that. Speaking from experience, it's all too easy to get side tracked, spread one's self too thinly, lose focus, and end up doing a half baked job, ending in frustration. Because there simply aren't enough hours in a day.

Actually, when I singled out black smithing, I was thinking about the investment in raw materials; coal, and iron; the basic tools a smith would have to purchase before he could go to work, like an anvil, not to mention shop space, and a forge.

That they made their own gear is a nice romantic fiction. But the trade inventories just don't bear that out. Trade knives were dirt cheap and shipped by the hogshead to the New World. So were all kinds and sizes of axes. Even moccasins were for sale at Bent's Fort.

Bullet pouches, and powder horns, along with their future contents were also items of trade, and could be found at Detroit, Ft. Union, St. Louis, Montreal, most anywhere merchants catered to those in the fur trapping and hide hunting business.

I will say this in favor of making one's own gear in the modern world: It may save a few bucks, and it will definitely give one a sense of well earned pride. However it will take time, repetition, and some failures along the way to do one craft well.

And to anyone looking into a related craft of our hobby, I would advise choosing only one early on, and concentrate on that. Speaking from experience, it's all too easy to get side tracked, spread one's self too thinly, lose focus, and end up doing a half baked job, ending in frustration. Because there simply aren't enough hours in a day.
Cruzatte,
When I mentioned making their own gear I should've been more concise in that I was referring more to the accessories rather than the main items such as mocs, pouches or containers that they either couldn't afford or needed away from the settlements while in the field.
I agree about your reference to focus, time, facilities and necessary equipment to produce items in this craft.
I find myself drawn to different skills at different times and attempt to portion out my focus both in funds and effort accordingly.
I certainly have plenty of research to do...

That they made their own gear is a nice romantic fiction. But the trade inventories just don't bear that out.
But if one is looking for something made in a period manner from period materials that looks like it would have been made in the period, you need to avoid (like the plague) nearly anything that is commercially available today. Even in the day, small artisans would have made items for sale/trade and people without access to trade items might improvise/make their own based upon their level of skill. I see very few commercially-made items that I would consider purchasing.

But if one is looking for something made in a period manner from period materials that looks like it would have been made in the period, you need to avoid (like the plague) nearly anything that is commercially available today. Even in the day, small artisans would have made items for sale/trade and people without access to trade items might improvise/make their own based upon their level of skill. I see very few commercially-made items that I would consider purchasing.
Hand,
Using Cruzatte's blacksmithing example, what does one do when they need a hatchet?
"Artisans" are asking mostly out of range prices for someone just getting into the craft.
I've seen this same dichotomy in other forms of reenactment as well.
we've had these conversations before and as much as I agree with building up your gear and persona to be "jurried" event material, how do you feel about someone trying to break into the hobby if they have to buy a commercial item here and there to fill out their gear lists?
A little Devil's advocate.

Hand,
Using Cruzatte's blacksmithing example, what does one do when they need a hatchet?
"Artisans" are asking mostly out of range prices for someone just getting into the craft.
I've seen this same dichotomy in other forms of reenactment as well.
we've had these conversations before and as much as I agree with building up your gear and persona to be "jurried" event material, how do you feel about someone trying to break into the hobby if they have to buy a commercial item here and there to fill out their gear lists?
A little Devil's advocate.
Tomahawks today are constructed in essentially the same way they were 200 years ago. One needs to be a little more discerning when it comes to axes, as there are characteristics suggestive/indicative of period.

All that said, we all started somewhere and people are very supportive and understanding of inconsistencies when one is a beginner. The problems emerge when the "beginner" still has the same impression 5 or 10 years down the road and has made NO effort to improve or refine their gear. At least that is the way I see it....

I should also clarify "commercially available" - these are mass-produced, big company items. Other items available from and made by smaller vendors (crafts-people) are likely superior in all respects. You might pay a little more, but well-worth the price.

Make certain you have done your homework before buying. It will save you money and buyer's remorse in the short- and long-term.

Last edited:
Tomahawks today are constructed in essentially the same way they were 200 years ago. One needs to be a little more discerning when it comes to axes, as there are characteristics suggestive/indicative of period.

All that said, we all started somewhere and people are very supportive and understanding of inconsistencies when one is a beginner. The problems emerge when the "beginner" still has the same impression 5 or 10 years down the road and has made NO effort to improve or refine their gear. At least that is the way I see it....

I should also clarify "commercially available" - these are mass-produced, big company items. Other items available from and made by smaller vendors (crafts-people) are likely superior in all respects. You might pay a little more, but well-worth the price.

Make certain you have done your homework before buying. It will save you money and buyer's remorse in the short- and long-term.
Thanks for clarifying.
I agree with the caveat emptor on products out there, I have more than a little buyer's remorse...

Read somewhere about a day without learning something new is a day squandered,

I am tutoring a college student. Been 40 yrs since I was one. Even though I took the same classes, so much is new. I am learning much over again and learning much that is really new. Kind of like having a new window opened.

I just recently took up wood turning again after being away since my college days. New tools, electronic variable speed lathes, fancy shaped cutting tools, and new gizmos to hold the wood. But the process is basically the same as what was used by 10th century bodgers out in the Greenwod.

Latest posts

Back