• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

skill,s lost

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbowie1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
IM an old guy [SKINNER},I am sad to see the old hunting skills being replaced by tecnology. WE traditional mountainmen & women that still pratice thise skills are a vanishing breed.Replaced by range finders wind meters gps blood tracking instruments camo scentless clothes.amoung many other tec gear. Except for us traditional hunters there is no thing as fair chase no skill needed every thing is done for the new breed of hunter. Our way of hunting and our love of the mt man / long hunter / freetrapper is coming to an end . Not alot of younger people are interested in roondy, wearing [skin,s] cooking on an open fire getting dirty. they can do that right on their puter. VERY SAD. If you would ask a young person who was davy crockett / jim bowie/ daniel boone/ thy would have no clue. Well i guess im done I think i will take the dog and go walk up in the pasture.

jimbowie1 said:
IM an old guy [SKINNER},I am sad to see the old hunting skills being replaced by tecnology. WE traditional mountainmen & women that still pratice thise skills are a vanishing breed.Replaced by range finders wind meters gps blood tracking instruments camo scentless clothes.amoung many other tec gear. Except for us traditional hunters there is no thing as fair chase no skill needed every thing is done for the new breed of hunter. Our way of hunting and our love of the mt man / long hunter / freetrapper is coming to an end . Not alot of younger people are interested in roondy, wearing [skin,s] cooking on an open fire getting dirty. they can do that right on their puter. VERY SAD. If you would ask a young person who was davy crockett / jim bowie/ daniel boone/ thy would have no clue. Well i guess im done I think i will take the dog and go walk up in the pasture.

Skills lost, you have lost your skills in communication, that is a shame.

jimbowie1 said:
Not alot of younger people are interested in roondy, wearing [skin,s] cooking on an open fire getting dirty. they can do that right on their puter.
How do they do that on a computer?

The sad reality is that, it has always been this way...and always will be....Moreover, old men will wander aimlessly around the pasture they have been put in...unable to cope with the coming end.
Life is, and always will be cruel.....Worry about the things that you can control.... :v

P.S....Before you hang all that on the heads of the younger generations.....Ask yourself, "who have I taught my skills to today? "
Complaining isn't a solution.....it is part of the problem.

Jim Bowie, Davy, Dan'l.............they was in concert in Vegas last week, they ain't been forgot! :rotf:

I hear ya and agree. and as for losing your ability to comminunicate......... :idunno: what can I say. It aint the samo "gay ol time" in bedrock city. Some of us refuse to conform :metoo: To me, I am living the "alternative lifestyle", sittin at a water hole ALL DAY long with a smoke pole and just being part of the brush.

To each his own, several of us still take kids out, help at Boy Scout events etc etc. Its the "Family" that's not the same. Kids w/o two parents are becoming the majority in many areas and they are somewhat unreachable, those that are reached, in my experience, are really quite interested. The interest is squashed by the single parent that cant stand the though of her precious actually touching a firearm :shocked2: (of any age), and refusing the mentoring to move fwd.

That's all for now, I'm taking the dog out too..........

Don't worry, one of theses days, we will all have to come back to our roots... just a matter of time.

Hi my freind. I have just taken up hunting with a muzzle loader and am happy to report that in New Zealand at least, the old ways seem to taking off. I agree all this high tec stuff for hunting is a joke. People these days want instant success, dont want to put in the hard yards and learn to HUNT. Here dog! Greg.

Well, as my old man used to say, "There's more than one way to skin a CAT." Maybe, a historical group or primitive skills get together would be a place to share your skills. I deal with hundreds of young adults every year and there might be one every couple of years that is interested in these older ways. It might be you need to find them as they might not know enough to come looking for you.

jimbowie1 said:

To shamelessly borrow a quote from Shawshank Redemption:
"Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'."

You choose....

From the other side of the coin. I'm a "young guy" in comparison to many of you (I turn 29 in 2 weeks) and I only got started a couple years ago because of my wife's best friends dad. Even those of us who are interested it's hard to find anyone who does it and even harder to find someone who is willing to give up their time to teach someone. Our local clubs aren't into it so it's hard to find people who are like minded. I'm lucky to have met a man who was willing to let me shoot his flinters and help me buy my first gun once I was hooked. Not many people have that. But I know I would have gotten into this long ago given the opportunity.

I don't know the solution and you guys here on this forum are certainly helping me.

What we do will never be mainstream, but there's always people who will see the light. Old, young and everything in between. I have plenty of friends around my age, 31, who are into it, and plenty who aren't. There may be ebbs and flows, but it will never die out.

jimbowie1 said:

i'm with ya! no dog anymore, so i'll just go out and have a smoke!

jimbowie1 said:
Man I hope not. I've been a long time gettin started :doh:

I hopped in my time machine, took a trip back to 1825, and had a nice conversation with and old gent by the name of Thunder Sky. After we shared a pipe and a little bourbon I brought along, this is what he said.

I have seen many winters and many changes. Truly, I'm sad to see the old ways die. The skills of my people are being replaced by what the white man calls "technology". I remember when the people did not know of horses. Then the horse came and it was a good thing. But now the braves and squaws no longer practice the long known skills of my people. The young braves throw away their bows and seek the white man's musket. Even those who still use a bow want points made of iron instead of flint. Few even know how to make a flint point or flint knife. The squaws want the cloth of the traders, and the iron pots. There is no longer fair chase or skill in the hunt. Our youth shoot buffalo from many paces. What honor is there in that? This is the new breed of hunter and it makes me sad. Our young no longer learn the stories of the people and do not honor us of many winters. I think I will walk into the prairie until I can no longer see this thing that has happened to the people

Well!...At least WE all hold true to the old ways......I mean it's not like we've given up the ink and quill and are having a virtual conversation over thousands of miles, made of electrons passing through fiber optic cables on beams of light. :haha:

I once worked with a young engineer who's son wanted a new watch, one of those "lectric things you have to use two hands to read", he was ranting, "I want him to know how to us an old timey watch". So I pipes up and asked if he was talking about a sun dial. End of rant.

Too many leisure time pursuits available to the young and not enough time to "do it all" or to even attempt to try them all. Let's face it....we don't compete in the scheme of things in this "modern age". At 84, I don't concern myself w/ what some see as a problem and fretting about things that one has no control over just results in frustration.....Fred

Latest posts

Back