Skeeter countermeasures?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Dave James

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Down here in the swampy part of good ole Virginia, skeeters, are mean and large, plus they carry the beguine virus, and as I'm a diabetic and have "sweet" blood they love the heck out of me. Back in the 60s I fished and hunted with a gentleman that lived in the swamp, we always had a smoker can going to help with them. He told me one time, ge kept it filled with horse Nugget and old overcoat clippings 😉, kinda explained the first wife refusing to get near me when I'd come home, 😆😆

Reaction score
I use permethrin on all my outdoor clothing (I'm still not sure how much this helps with mosquitoes).
Permethrin is great -- especially on ticks and chiggers -- but it's not a repellent. So you can get bitten before the permethrin kills the buggers. Had that happen some years ago when I got into a nest of yellowjackets while cutting down an old stump. The permethrin on my socks took out a lot of them, but I was wearing shorts, and still got stung a lot -- including around the socks. Our summer insect combo here is permethrin on the clothes combined with Deep Woods Off as a repellent. I don't like the Off (sticky and needs to be washed off), but it's the only thing that really repels the critters.

Reaction score
Since we're talking about modern remedies as well, the best mosquito/tick/chigger spray I have ever used is Rainbow brand, 25% deet. We used this at the telco when we were splicing copper cable at pedestals that were way off in the bush that you had to wade through the grass and muck to find, then sit down in the middle of it. It's available online. Best dope I have used, hands down. Jungle Formula Insect Repellent - Rainbow Technology 1654602926811.png

gunnyr

40 Cal
Reaction score
Skeeters are pretty easy. Fishing in Quebec , after four PM is bad , unless you wear 2 hooded sweatshirts , w/hoods up , tied about face , and spray down w/ Deet , as in back woods OFF. Two shirts needed because of the size of the bugs. Each one can cover a quarter . Their probiscus is long enough to penetrate through one hooded shirt. Michigan is the same for bugs ,it's on the same latitude and similar climate. Buggy.

Oldwood, Those skeeters are small compaired to the ones around here. I was out in the woods one day
and I over heard 2 skeeters talking . One said to the other one , shall we eat him here or take him back.
The other skeeter said no , the big ones will take him from us. Now that's big.
gunny

Reaction score
i just came in from chipping some brush, sat down in my recliner , looked down and there was a tick crawling on my shirt.
once the wife got me calmed down enough to understand my jabber, she plucked it off and tossed it onto the porch floor.
i poured a table spoon of ffff on it and sent it to hell! going to be a bad year if they are out this soon and this high on the mountain!
do they have ticks on desert islands??????

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
but it's not a repellent. So you can get bitten before the permethrin kills the buggers.
I think I addressed this here,
Screenshot_20220607-165105_Chrome.jpg
I don't like the Off (sticky and needs to be washed off), but it's the only thing that really repels the critters
So far I'm pretty happy with Picaridin. It isn't as sticky as OFF, doesn't stink, and doesn't melt plastic like DEET.

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Having lived in the tropics I can tell you. Avon makes a product called Skin So Soft. It really works and smells good too.
That's funny. Years ago Backpacker Magazine did a trial of bug repellents, including Skin So Soft.
Hikers went into an area known for heavy mosquito contact wearing shorts with a repellent on one leg and the other leg had nothing. The hikers wearing Skin So Soft came back with more bites on the treated leg than the untreated leg.
I tried it once anyway. I found no effect with mosquitos and gnats seemed attracted to it.

Different type of mosquitoes?

Latest posts