• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sized ball!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I ran across some .760" soft lead ball going cheap so I bought them.
Running them through a wad punch of mine they come out .737".

Anyone tried this?

I should of said I am hoping to use these in greedy Bess with a .750" bore.

B.

Well feller's they shot at thirty yards no worse than the .735" I bought weeks ago.
No pictures sorry but the first two were 2" apart high on the 10" target. They would of stopped a deer. Shot three went left but stayed on the plate, dead deer.
Shot four clipped the edge.

If I get chance tomorrow I want to up the charge a pinch.

B.

UPDATE.

I was not happy how Bessy felt yesterday so remembering my center fire reloading days, " if in doubt add more fuel".
I upped the fine powder charge to 80grns and boy did she like it.
Much better combustion, keen recoil and what I like best no variation in recoil, like I had yesterday.

Must add, ole' Bessy performed perfectly in the rain and damp dank weather. She was blooming in rust but refused to complain.

Anyway I used a brick wall on a disused building as a target.
In the image below is three impacts.
Shot one struck the brick I was aiming at. Shot two went high. Shot three is with shot one.

I was thrilled to say the least however Bessy made her point that I can not take her for granted by dutifully cutting a finger via her flint!

The same charge under shot works too. I was trying to shelter from heavy rain at one point and found an old wasp nest so used it for wadding and got a couple of squirrels.

So ole'Bessy has been holding out on me!
Turns out she likes big balls and fast powder!
Now she is working with me, the dark horse!

She had the works cleaning wise and is sparkling again.

Why aren't smoothbores more popular?

B.

Great report of an even better outing Nate :thumbsup: .

Why aren't smoothbores more popular?....THAT is a question that I can't answer!

I'm in the middle of cleaning my 20 gauge after an outing of my own today. It went much like yours and I plan to tell about here, somewhere.

Thanks for sharing with us very much, Skychief.

I would venture a guess that the mystique of frontiersman shooting British soldiers at long range during the AWI makes people today want to feel a kinship with these hero's of days gone by. In my situation and at my age, I'll take my 20 ga. I can hunt anything in my state with it. Fur or feather it covers it all. As they say different strokes for different folks.

Back