• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sixty shots at the pistol range today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one thing that particular test showed was the powder charge is not critical as to consistency. For all my tests I have been weighing the powder charges in storing them in vials. That is a rather slow process. A picture is attached that shows some of my different vials. Also, in the picture is the vial holder for either five of the larger vials or smaller vials. Normal procedure is to remove five of the same weight vials put them in the holder and have it at the loading bench. This test says the weighing of each charge of powder is unnecessary. It is easy to throw charges that are within 1/10th grain consistently with a powder dispenser.

Attachments

• P1090736.JPG
    P1090736.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 56
"The one thing that particular test showed was the powder charge is not critical as to consistency. This test says the weighing of each charge of powder is unnecessary."

That confirms what I have read in the past.

For those who want to see a really nice shooting box, look in one of the pictures on the left side.

Another interesting thing was the weight and condition of the balls. I saved some of the "throwbacks" from going back into the pot for this test. They were .390 balls using the same GM barrel, patch material, and Goex powder. The weights ran from 84.3 to 89.6 grains. They had cavities and wrinkles and were ugly. But they shot well.
Also, there is a picture of how I sort the balls before packing them in bottles. Looks like wasted effort for 25 yards.
Barry

Attachments

• P1090744.JPG
    P1090744.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 57
  • P1090742.JPG
    P1090742.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 59
Very interesting Barry. Greatly enjoy the accuracy quest. With a fixture like yours, the truth is obtainable and provable as well as repeatable. I ... like others ... have a more then passing interest in findings as to real accuracy that is really possible with powders, balls and caps as well as different twist rates.

These tests and building of accuracy fixtures have been going on ... maybe as long as the firing of projectiles from a barrel.

Good work my friend and I look forward to your next installment. Thank you for your passion and interest as well as sharing your findings.

Ted

The one thing that particular test showed was the powder charge is not critical as to consistency. For all my tests I have been weighing the powder charges in storing them in vials. That is a rather slow process. A picture is attached that shows some of my different vials. Also, in the picture is the vial holder for either five of the larger vials or smaller vials. Normal procedure is to remove five of the same weight vials put them in the holder and have it at the loading bench. This test says the weighing of each charge of powder is unnecessary. It is easy to throw charges that are within 1/10th grain consistently with a powder dispenser.

A good friend who has several State Championships for silhouette told me years ago weighing each charge was not necessarily. He based this on the fact that no serious competitor he knew weighed charges, using a good powder measurer instead. It's good to know your test show similar results.

Back