• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sitting Fox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rideout951

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I am window shopping for a new kit gun and have been looking fairly hard at sitting fox muzzleloders. On the fence as to what I want but it's either going to be a left handed rifle or left handed smooth bore. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them and could speak to difficultly level and quality of the kits, they look amazing online but it never hurts to ask. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

I had a very good experience with sitting Fox, I can’t praise Ray enough for my treatment.
I ordered a gun with plain maple, he upgraded at least to a p or p+, nice piece of wood.
the place where you find complaints is about their finished guns. Ray sub contracts and sells middle to low price for custom guns, of course you can’t compare a$12-1800 gun to one twice as much or more. His builders areamutures and do my level quality of work, second rate at best. Something to take pride in when you have done it your self something to complain about when you laid out the cash.
445FAC85-B7EB-47D5-978C-E43DF7DB490F.jpeg

I too had a very good experience with sitting Fox, I can’t praise Ray enough for my treatment.
Same here!

The quality of the parts was the same quality as received as from Track of the Wolf . Just know what you're buying! Meaning, I bought a 'used' SF right-handed Fuzil de Chase (FdC) kit from someone else, who didn't yet inlet the lock, plus that stock was maple. Well, a real FdC stock would be English walnut. I contacted Ray and he was supportive set me exchanging not only the stock, but the barrel too, as I wanted a 44+" barrel, versus as 42" barrel that ALL kit makers sell ... due to shipping length restrictions ... not due to historical accuracy.

When I got the stock, it was forwarded to me drop-shipped direct from by Dunlap, a noted stock maker. When I needed a replacement ramrod thimble, it was sent to me direct from Larry, from the Mold & Gun Shop. Can't beat those sources for 'quality' parts!

From what I've read, unfortunately I too would not buy a build in the white or a finished arm from SF, as you really don't quite know 'who' is really building it, but I had nothing but praise for the kit experience!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back