• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Single Trigger Improvement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went the quick and dirty route. Wire brushed edge of existing trigger and tacked on tab. Temporarily pinned in new location through stock and 6 pound pull now around 2.25 pounds.....and no perceptible creep. Didn't have to remove any wood....slot was deep enough. Think I'll just clean it up, permanently pin, and go shootin' 😂😂😂 Thanks for the help all 👍

20210802_141537.jpg

That ought to definitely reduce the trigger pull. As I said, if the pin is sticking out a little- you can hold the lock close enough to test the pull. Let us know how it comes out.
Mea Culpa time... like most folks, I started out with a set trigger. Nothing wrong with a set trigger. It is more accurate but on the other hand, if you hunt in wooded areas with most shots at 70 yards or so, is a set trigger that much of an advantage. Things can loosen up and malfunction whereas a pinned trigger is fool proof. Once I got a single, pinned trigger down to 2- 2 1/2 pounds, I personally felt that was fine for the kind of hunting I do. If I was in a shooting match- I'd opt for a set trigger but single triggers are very practical in a lot of situations.

My father uses this gun alot now with its light weight and balance as hes getting older, and years of hard work have done a number on his hands. He has trouble feeling the set trigger sometimes they break so light with some loss of feeling in his fingers. This is a perfect compromise. Actually played around today shimming both sides with thin brass sheeting (the slot pretty loose) and preventing any rotational resistance on the raw wood. Its pretty dern slick funtioning now I must say. I did pin all the way through. Its barely noticable and doesn't bother me esthetically at all.

After reading this I tried to improve a very bad Traditions Kentucky single trigger . I was able to raised the pivot point and moved it back pining it through the stock under (drilling through the stock and trigger) the lock plate and blide on the other side using a brass 1/8th rod(trigger is also brass) so it can't be seen without removing the lock. WELL it worked :thumb: I got a smoother 3-4 pound(was north of 8 and very harsh) yes there is alot of take up before the release but far better than what the factory kit that's pinned low and forward.
DSC03300.JPG

Back