• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Single Pole Tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking for a Single Pole Tent. Most of the vendors I've delt with in the past seem to have gone out of business. I would prefer 12x12 made out of marine finished material. If anyone has a line on a current vendor or has a used on for sale please let me know.
Thanks,
Ferret Master

I must not have hit post as my message was missing. Panthers Primitive sells a pyramid tent. These were post 1840 so some events won’t accept them. They also sell a round single pole. Not super popular bu HC back to the Middle Ages. And the shibly Or sibley style seen just from the WBTS and similar to British military back to the Crimean war.
They also offer tarps for plow point or Diamond style.

Tentsmiths has them.

Is this for convenience of use? I ask as the guys that I've seen using them made two modifications to their basic pyramid. First although it was a "single pole" what they did was take two poles, measured to go from the lower edge of the tent cloth to the peak, and joined the two poles with a metal hinge. So it was one pole with a hinge in the center, and so when used it held up the tent, but the pole wasn't in the middle of the living space, a la Λ. They also had an awning sewn in, which then made it a "three pole tent" but one man could erect all three poles without help. The reason for the awning was that the door slit in bad weather made and area rather unusable even when well closed.

This is sorta what they had. It's called a Frazer Tent, but there's was a slit opening with the awning sewn to the tent above the door, while a true Frazer has a wide door, and the awning acts as the door. The drawback to the Frazer is that in bad weather and at night the door must be down, while a pyramid with a sewn in awning allows the user to stand outside under the awning while the door is closed.

FRAZER

FRAZER TENT.JPG

LD

I had and used a Panther single pole 'pyramid' for many years at ronnies. No one ever shot me for not being 'authentic'. In fact evidence (some of it here) indicates one pole lodges go well back to 16th century and earlier.

I had and used a Panther single pole 'pyramid' for many years at ronnies. No one ever shot me for not being 'authentic'. In fact evidence (some of it here) indicates one pole lodges go well back to 16th century and earlier.
Alas yes there are Medieval tents that have a single pole, and expensive marquis tents that do so as well, but some events specifically prohibit certain tents.

" Acceptable shelters include simple lean-tos, diamond flys, and marquee, wedge, or wall tents. Whelan’s, Bakers, Tipis, and single-pole pyramid or Hunter’s tents are not acceptable. " Fort Frederick Market Fair rules , 2019

LD

That's a choice on the part of Fort Frederick. Doc on use of pyramids on the frontier (including descriptions and a couple illustrations from primary sources) were furnished to them years ago.

That's a choice on the part of Fort Frederick. Doc on use of pyramids on the frontier (including descriptions and a couple illustrations from primary sources) were furnished to them years ago.

Ah yes, but the time period cutoff of 1790 sorta precluded that information, no? I heard about it when I asked, "Why 1790. How was that year picked?"

LD

Alas yes there are Medieval tents that have a single pole, and expensive marquis tents that do so as well, but some events specifically prohibit certain tents.

" Acceptable shelters include simple lean-tos, diamond flys, and marquee, wedge, or wall tents. Whelan’s, Bakers, Tipis, and single-pole pyramid or Hunter’s tents are not acceptable. " Fort Frederick Market Fair rules , 2019

LD
You play on some ones fields you have to follow their rules. And tilting at windmills hurts you more then the windmill.
And we know the reason of such rules is to prevent a descent in to a ren-fair pirate fest atmosphere
However it puts on a uniformity that didn’t exist then
Fact is unless it was the military you didn’t sleep in much of a tent. And folks didn’t go camping then.
So our rules are a mite arbitrary
They make a good looking camp where each camp is in of itself fairly hc, but in general the whole of the camp isn’t

Ah yes, but the time period cutoff of 1790 sorta precluded that information, no? I heard about it when I asked, "Why 1790. How was that year picked?"

LD
Um, actually, no: the time period cut off of 1790 does not preclude the information provided.

At the request of a couple folks, I put together a packet covering the use of pyramid tents by civilians (mostly traders/merchants) and military from Queen Anne's War through the Ohio War. The packet included references to primary documents (including photographs of several of the documents), as well as photographs of drawings from journals dated 1754 and 1788, and a painting from 1781. The citations covered use at a couple of spots along Braddock's Road, and use in what are now the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia, and Ohio.

As I wrote in my original post in this thread, it was a choice on the part of Fort Frederick. I suspect Tenngun has done a good job of outlining the reasoning behind the decision of the event organizers.

I have the Panther Primitive Hunter's Tent in 12 x 12, with the 11' height. It's taller than the regular pyramid, giving more head room width in the middle, so that you don't have to take off your hat outside. Get an awning, too, for lots of reasons. I also got a 2nd door, for better air movement during the hot Texas afternoon.

Um, actually, no: the time period cut off of 1790 does not preclude the information provided.

At the request of a couple folks, I put together a packet covering the use of pyramid tents by civilians (mostly traders/merchants) and military from Queen Anne's War through the Ohio War. The packet included references to primary documents (including photographs of several of the documents), as well as photographs of drawings from journals dated 1754 and 1788, and a painting from 1781. The citations covered use at a couple of spots along Braddock's Road, and use in what are now the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia, and Ohio.

As I wrote in my original post in this thread, it was a choice on the part of Fort Frederick. I suspect Tenngun has done a good job of outlining the reasoning behind the decision of the event organizers.
"
I'd love to see that because when I went looking, I didn't find any of the "pyramid" tents... one pole "medieval" tents yes (a misnomer as they were still in use) , but not the pyramid.

LD

At the request of a couple folks, I put together a packet covering the use of pyramid tents by civilians (mostly traders/merchants) and military from Queen Anne's War through the Ohio War.
As a pyramid tent owner, I would love to see some historical documentation of their use before 1836. Are the documents email-able? Or can they be posted here (or have they already, in another post)?
Thanks.

Last edited:
When I was a young lad some buddys and I thought it would be cool to make out own tent out of old canvas as we did not have and money. It did not even look as good as this and was about 4 ft high. Only old army blankets for beds. we used small trees that we cut off with a hatchet for poles and we had walked into the woods up in the white mountains for a week long hike. It Poured Rain and we were soaked. How did the pioneers survive without getting hypothermia way back when. basically when your laying isn a foot of cold water it just is not fun. we hiked out in the rain after a couple days and hitchhiked about 150 mile back to the old mill city we came from. The nails on the corner post actually hells to keep it from falling over and grandmas old clothline ( Yea there was hell to pay for taking it) does work fairly well.

Jametown Tents pic 002.jpg

Back