• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Single or SxS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have acquired a single percussion 12 Ga by CVA and am gathering supplies to use for turkey next month.
I have powder & wads. Shot type and size I haven't purchased yet -- hoping for advice.
AND, What do you use to measure the powder and shot. I have read use same volume for both. I see TOTW has fancy brass w/ wood handles adjustable British type measures -- separate ones for powder and shot.
I plan to field load....probably could carry some preloaded canisters but still left with what to use to create those canisters...
Looking for advice....Thx

I’ve used empty 45-70 with a small cork to carry powder. They hold about 80 grains by volume. I was lucky and found most of them at the local range over the years for free. They would work for pre measured loads. You would be limited to about 1 1/8-1/14 ounce of shot.

All of my shotguns are SxS, when turkey hunting I use a duplex shot load of #4 and #6 shot. I just mix equal amounts in my shot pouch and pour 1 1/4 oz. My SxSs are all original guns so keep the loads at 70 grs or less of 2F.
Truthfully I don't carry many extra loads when turkey hunting you're only going to get one shot in most cases.

You're embarking on an addictive journey shooting M/L shotguns, but it's really fun. Starting out, I'd opt for "quality", not neccessarily "expensive". Use the same measurer for shot and powder b/c loads are by volume, not weight. The ones I've used are the simple brass ones WITH an attached pouring spout that levels each charge and dumps powder into the muzzle without spillage.

When setting up for turkeys, you'll be shooting at the head, not the whole bird, so hardened or perhaps "Hevi Shot" in #4 or #6's will work b/c the target is small & what we want is the most pellets possible, not fewer.

Have Fun!

A 70 grain measure will be about an ounce of shot. Large shot will run a little lighter then small shot.
They used different measures as one might want a different amount of shot. I’ve settled on about an ounce and a half in my 20 bore. I’ve done in a squirrel or two and a turkey or two with an ounce but get better with heavier. Though two ounces doesn’t do better than one and a half.
Lyman book of muzzle loading list 7/8 to one and an 1/8 for a twenty bore.
I eyeball it using my powder measure. Old shot bags were often adjustable.

If you can use lead in your hunt area, I would suggest #6 lead shot. Your shot is to the head and neck, a small but soft target. High pellet count is the name of the game. If you are in a no lead area I suggest Rotometals bismuth/tin #6 shot. A little lighter than lead but soft and barrel friendly. Unfortunately pretty darn expensive at $170 for 10 pounds, but the 1 pound sample for $20 would give you all the shot needed for several years of turkey hunting with your front stuffer.

If you can use lead in your hunt area, I would suggest #6 lead shot. Your shot is to the head and neck, a small but soft target. High pellet count is the name of the game. If you are in a no lead area I suggest Rotometals bismuth/tin #6 shot. A little lighter than lead but soft and barrel friendly. Unfortunately pretty darn expensive at $170 for 10 pounds, but the 1 pound sample for $20 would give you all the shot needed for several years of turkey hunting with your front stuffer.
Sounds great...thank you

I carry my shot pre-measured in paper dime rollers. Fold and Elmer glue one end, pour in the measured shot then fold and glue the other end. When I want to reload I just bite the end off and dump in the shot. You can then discard the paper or use it as an over shot wad.

At current prices shot is expensive, before you buy, ask a hunting buddy for a modern shot shell in 4, 5,or 6, cut the shell apart and use the shot in your gun. Pick the shot with the best pattern and buy what you need/works best in your gun. This will save an expensive shot buy that you may not like. Even if you pay him buck or so a shot, it will be a cheap experiment.

I have acquired a single percussion 12 Ga by CVA and am gathering supplies to use for turkey next month.
I have powder & wads. Shot type and size I haven't purchased yet -- hoping for advice.
AND, What do you use to measure the powder and shot. I have read use same volume for both. I see TOTW has fancy brass w/ wood handles adjustable British type measures -- separate ones for powder and shot.
I plan to field load....probably could carry some preloaded canisters but still left with what to use to create those canisters...
Looking for advice....Thx
BlackRock,
Watching with interest to see what experience people have with the CVA single barrels. That's the lightest, handiest feeling little rascal, even more so than side by sides.

For turkey, I carry one small plastic box with pre-measured paper "cartridges" of shot and another of powder. Wads are in a separate baggie. It all fits in my front pocket. For small game & birds, I might load up 10. For turkey, it's usually only 3-5.

Back