• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

single or double set trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, a "double set trigger" has no place on a smooth bore. Even one that is being used to fire a roundball.

I think double set triggers are made for precision rifle shooting where the slightest movement of the gun because of trigger pull can cause the gun to shoot slightly off the point of aim. This is not the case with smoothbores where front and rear sights are often not in existence and even when they exist, the guns accuracy is more a matter of chance at ranges beyond 50 yards.

If a single trigger is going to be used, try to locate the pivot for the trigger 5/16" in front of the sear arm on the lock.
This usually makes the trigger pull fairly short while making the pull weight about 2-3 pounds.

Good for the single trigger. I'm just having second thought on the my TVM Early Virginian smooth bore . I ordered it in Aug. and they should be calling for final payment any day now. When they call I can change one thing before the build starts.
I'm not a patient guy LOL. getting antsy.

If you live where it gets cold a single trigger is better. If you wear gloves you will have a problem with set triggers.

N/W Ohio . I went with the single when I ordered because of the smooth bore . I wanted something to shoot RB and Shot. I figured get a rifle later if I needed one. I have my Lyman 50cal. still , so should be set.
I just started this reenactment last year and a little disappointed with the china bug canceling everything.
but this is a new year.

Set trigger not necessary for a smooth bore. (Colonial "smooth rifle") . A well installed single trigger will have some millitary rifle trigger creep , but it's easy to get used to where the break is. More important is , range practice , load , sight,and fire,.....................oldwood

That’s what I was thinking. Hunting at 50 yard with a smoothie a single should be fine . Wasn’t sure if a single would be odd on the Early Virginian.

Building a 54 cal smooth bore. Witch is better a single trigger or double set trigger on a smooth bore 54cal ?
I have an American Fowler (Early Virginia 20 gauge smoothbore). It has double set triggers and puts RBs very accurately out to about 50 yards.

I have a Fusil de Chase, single trigger and shoots very smoothly and accurately. The trigger is crisp and great shooting gun.

I prefer the double set triggers, but I think that's because I've used them for so many years that I'm just used to them.

The versatility of a smooth bore having the ability to shoot shot or ball kinda' makes a single trigger a necessity. I can't see getting off a decent shot on a moving target with birdshot and a double trigger. Now on the other hand if Marie Laveau told me to get a set trigger or else that's what I'd do......:thumb:

I've never seen a set trigger on a long range match rifle, just a small screw thru' the tumbler to adjust the depth of the sear in the bent. Seen on some P/H .451" rifles and David Monk rifles. I would go for Single any time on a Game rifle if you can't adjust your own lock travel. Sorry to put a spanner in the works Smoothie but I have seen a few over the last 60 years. OLD DOG..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen a set trigger on a long range match rifle, just a small screw thru' the tumbler to adjust the depth of the sear in the bent. Seen on some P/H .451" rifles and David Monk rifles. I would go for Single any time on a Game rifle if you can't adjust your own lock travel. Sorry to put a spanner in the works Smoothie but I have seen a few over the last 60 years. OLD DOG..
I was talking in principle sorry.
As in there is no real need for a double set trigger hunting game under 100yds. In principle the only muzzleloader rifle that could benefit would be a long range target rifle.
In principle I personally dont see the need on the majority of traditional muzzleloaders.
It's just an opinion and hence worth very little.
Got no use for rifles due the guidance to the police deterring any form of hunting with a muzzleloading rifle! Idiots!
Thanks though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plod has no objections to M/L rifles used on registered Approved ranges. At 10lb+ you would hardy want to carry a L/R M/R on the hill. My .451 Martini-Henry barreled 5,3/4lb Deer rifle has a single set and a "carry safe" second 1/2 cock leaving the hammer .020" above the cap. Regret ,never been used other than Approved ranges owing to changes in our laws. Never really finished it. If you would like to fry it when Ranges are open again (if ever) in South Derbyshire we can go back to 100mtrs .. Wonder how many Deer were shot in M/L days..

Last edited:
Plod has no objections to M/L rifles used on registered Approved ranges. At 10lb+ you would hardy want to carry a L/R M/R on the hill. My .451 Martini-Henry barreled 5,3/4lb Deer rifle has a single set and a "carry safe" second 1/2 cock leaving the hammer .020" above the cap. Regret ,never been used other than Approved ranges owing to changes in our laws. Never really finished it. If you would like to fry it when Ranges are open again (if ever) in South Derbyshire we can go back to 100mtrs .. Wonder how many Deer were shot in M/L days..
Thank you sir. May just take you up on that offer.
Nothing would make me happier hunting small game with a muzzleloader.
Unfortunately I have given up trying to drive a nail into a knot!

Back