• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Simple cure for Ballistol smell

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeezerD

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Adding about a half ounce of peppermint oil to a can of Ballistol makes the stink go away. :thumbsup:

If you leave the can of Ballistol outside with the cap off, overnight, the licorice odor will diminish or evaporate all together. I have not been able to stand the smell of licorice since I was a boy-- my loss!-- so this is how to deal with it.

The same odor appears in the Greek distilled liquor, " Oozo"( worm in the bottle), and the Danish distilled Liquor, " Aquavit"( Used in making Swedish " Glugg"), BTW.

paulvallandigham said:
If you leave the can of Ballistol outside with the cap off, overnight, the licorice odor will diminish or evaporate all together. I have not been able to stand the smell of licorice since I was a boy-- my loss!-- so this is how to deal with it.

The same odor appears in the Greek distilled liquor, " Oozo"( worm in the bottle), and the Danish distilled Liquor, " Aquavit"( Used in making Swedish " Glugg"), BTW.

Ballistol did originate from that part of the world. --------------- GeezerD

GeezerD said:
paulvallandigham said:

Ballistol did originate from that part of the world. --------------- GeezerD

Actually, Ballistol means Ballistic Oil.

Actually, it was invented by someone in Austria, in what was then the Austrio-Hungarian Empire, before WWI.(1914-1918) It was designed to clean the mercury from the barrels of the guns, left when mercury fulminate was used as a primer mixture in the early cartridges. Mercury is highly corrosive to iron and steel, and for the rifles to maintain their bores to deliver accurate fire, it was necessary to have a bore solvent that would neutralized the mercury.

The formula is still the same, alto Mercury fulminate was replaced as a primer compound by almost all nations during or shortly after WWII. (1939-1945). The highly refined Mineral Oil, which is the base for the Ballistic Oil, otherwise has no odor.

I dunnoh ... was shootin' 6-8 pounds of black powdah per year when I first got me a flint smoothie ... and used nothing but Ballistol to follow tepid water cleaning, and even used it as a patch lube (less mink oil in cold weather).

... let's just say I don't even notice the smell anymore!

FWIW I introduced a friend to another flinter that I have the other day and he remarked "Gawd that stuff STINKS!"

flintlock62 said:
Actually, Ballistol means Ballistic Oil.

And that will be an excellent description of it as the bottle flies out the back door and over the neighbors fence when our wives find out that it's the Ballistol that's stinking up the whole house. :grin:

I thought it smelled just like my Gym-socks at the end of the semester. Peppermint actually smells worse! They need to make it smell like Hoppe's #9 then sales would take off! Despite the smell, it works better than anything I have ever sued for cleaning black powder fouling and preventing "after-rust."

Zonie said:
And that will be an excellent description of it as the bottle flies out the back door and over the neighbors fence when our wives find out that it's the Ballistol that's stinking up the whole house. :grin:

Geez, Zonie, my wife loves it.
smilielol.gif

BallistolPerfumeZ.jpg

I think the picture might be a little misleading.

Here's what she is really thinking:

BallistolPerfumeZ.jpg

WELL, HE FOUND IT IN THE NEIGHBORS YARD
BUT I'VE GOT THE PERFECT SOLUTION!

I'LL HIDE IT IN HIS CLEAN UNDERWEAR DRAWER!!
HE'LL NEVER FIND IT IN THERE!

Be wary of a smiling woman. :hmm:

Zonie, I have found that when I clean the ML in the bathtub after shooting proper black powder, my wife doesn't mind the smell of Ballistol compared to the burned sulfur smell..., and if I have had cabbage, or beans, or pea soup, or all three before I clean...,

LD

Hi all , I just got a can of ballistol from Brownells and had to pay Hazardious shipping,and it was in a spray can... Where can I buy it in a bottle? Fox.45 :thumbsup:

They have a small ad on p. 44 of the latest issue of MUZZLELOADER.

BALLISTOL USA
1 cypress Knee Trail
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949

Phone: 1-800-253-2460 :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back