• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simple Christmas gift

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I forgot I had this and if I did post it it was years ago but since I just came across it again I figure I would share. Iv cut myself so many times on my putty knives bc after some time that carbon steel gets real sharp.. I thought hey that would make a good patch knife. Nothing crazy pretty simple actually but it does the trick. So if your low on funds or just need a last minute gift go grab an old putty knife and make a patch knife for that someone special haha

Attachments

• F8B62FF7-299A-4EC5-A2A0-A9A34821C438.jpeg
    F8B62FF7-299A-4EC5-A2A0-A9A34821C438.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • EE33DAE9-7FCC-4282-BA6A-0E28D16EA2E6.jpeg
    EE33DAE9-7FCC-4282-BA6A-0E28D16EA2E6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 8E23C2E1-351B-48A2-AAC1-5F30DE19FEB9.jpeg
    8E23C2E1-351B-48A2-AAC1-5F30DE19FEB9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Y'know, I'm really gonna hafta fire up the forge next summer. Got all kinds of springs, old files, etc. that could make some pretty nice knives. Even got an old block of ebony around here someplace for handles.

That actually looks like a pretty nice patch knife. What did you wrap it with, sinew?

So I forgot I had this and if I did post it it was years ago but since I just came across it again I figure I would share. Iv cut myself so many times on my putty knives bc after some time that carbon steel gets real sharp.. I thought hey that would make a good patch knife. Nothing crazy pretty simple actually but it does the trick. So if your low on funds or just need a last minute gift go grab an old putty knife and make a patch knife for that someone special haha
Clever idea! We all have an unused putty knife around the basement somewhere! I bet many guys will do just that for a fun "puttering around" project over the weekend! Thanks!

Y'know, I'm really gonna hafta fire up the forge next summer. Got all kinds of springs, old files, etc. that could make some pretty nice knives. Even got an old block of ebony around here someplace for handles.

That actually looks like a pretty nice patch knife. What did you wrap it with, sinew?
Yep just some sinew to give it a little different look bc I mean the putty knife handle needed a little help hahah

That was a great way to repurpose! Looks Great!

I’m just making all my Christmas presents today, to cold to paint and it was my first day in months I got to tinker hahaha. Turtle vent picks I used an old needle and jb weld steel to hold it all together on the top, again nothing special but still a stocker stuffer. The kids are enjoying watching the snow! Great family day

Attachments

• 2DF46397-7B70-42BA-B7A5-9524F17C9821.jpeg
    2DF46397-7B70-42BA-B7A5-9524F17C9821.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • B4D96F16-96FA-4E4A-B89B-C14449AE911E.jpeg
    B4D96F16-96FA-4E4A-B89B-C14449AE911E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back