• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Simon Kenton ( Frontiersman ) Festival Highlights....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was originally planning on posting this video in 2 weeks, however, my local subscribers are interested in seeing the highlights of the 46th annual Simon Kenton Festival held in our hometown last weekend. I had the opportunity to speak with students about the harshness of living in the Kentucky area in 1785. I also wandered the streets of ol' Washington KY during the festival and enjoyed running into friends I haven't seen in a while. Enjoy the highlights and I'll see you in 2 Sunday's from now.....

Only in Kentucky and the south would you have that kind of attention for the children. Great video Mark and those kids dont know how fortunate they are to have someone like you to teach them our history. They sure arent getting that from school.

Only in Kentucky and the south would you have that kind of attention for the children. Great video Mark and those kids dont know how fortunate they are to have someone like you to teach them our history. They sure arent getting that from school.
Thanks my friend...next weekend,
I'm going back to that same cabin to show kids how they dipped candles "Back in the Day"....and talk to the parents about the flintlock guns, etc the frontier folks would have carried back then at the Frontier Christmas Festival. I'm looking forward to doing that!
I'm not sure if I can get any video or not.
I'm usually swamped with kids most of the day wanting to try it out.
But will try.

Thanks my friend...next weekend,
I'm going back to that same cabin to show kids how they dipped candles "Back in the Day"....and talk to the parents about the flintlock guns, etc the frontier folks would have carried back then at the Frontier Christmas Festival. I'm looking forward to doing that!
I'm not sure if I can get any video or not.
I'm usually swamped with kids most of the day wanting to try it out.
But will try.
Good on ya Mark I hope you can do a video but I understand if its not possible.

Hey Mark, I love your videos and watch each and every one of them. What you’re doing for kids, as well as the muzzloading community, is pretty amazing. One thing that does bug me a little about this one is that you were flagging those kids. I know your flintlock wasn’t loaded, but when I taught Hunters Ed, that was two of the 4 primary safety rules; never point your rifle, gun or bow at anything you don’t intend to shoot and treat every firearm as if it’s loaded. The reason I say this is that your exposing these kids, (many of them it may be their first time handling a firearm)to a whole new world, this would be a great time to not only implement firearm safety but teach a little of it as well? I’m not trying to come off as a prick and apologize if I sound like I am. Like I said I really like your videos and I thank you for all you do with the kids!

Last edited:
Hey Mark, I love your videos and watch each and every one of them. What you’re doing for kids, as well as the muzzloading community, is pretty amazing. One thing that does bug me a little about this one is that you were flagging those kids. I know your flintlock wasn’t loaded, but when I taught Hunters Ed, that was two of the 4 primary safety rules; never point your rifle, gun or bow at anything you don’t intend to shoot and treat every firearm as if it’s loaded. The reason I say this is that your exposing these kids, (many of them it may be their first time handling a firearm)to a whole new world, this would be a great time to not only implement firearm safety but teach a little of it as well? I’m not trying to come off as a prick and apologize if I sound like I am. Like I said I really like your videos and I thank you for all you do with the kids!
Believe me my friend.......I LEARNED a valuable lesson with that video and definitely will correct that on camera next year. I was crucified in the YouTube comments from several viewers about what you're talking about.

Next year, the VERY FIRST THING I will discuss/demostrate on camera is the gun is unloaded.
I'll put a large sharpie mark or use white duct tape on the ramrod & place the ramrod in the barrel to show it is unloaded.
I will walk slowly in front of every kid and explain so they can see for themselves it is an 100% unloaded weapon.

I may not carry the gun next year like I did this time. I'll show it..... then put it back on a gun rack I'm going to build for the demonstration and move on to something else.
I try to improve the experience every year & these comments are helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've listened to others in the past as you'll notice on every shooting video. There are 3 Miranda warnings on all of them now.
I don't see your comments as an attack, but a learning moment for me doing future videos.

Thank you very much.
Have a blessed day.

mark

That sounds like a great plan Sir! I didn’t want to come off sounding harsh or nasty. I applaud all of what you do for the kids and the muzzloading community. If your ever up near the Wapakoneta Ohio area shoot me a pm, I’ve got a pretty descent place to shoot.

That sounds like a great plan Sir! I didn’t want to come off sounding harsh or nasty. I applaud all of what you do for the kids and the muzzloading community. If your ever up near the Wapakoneta Ohio area shoot me a pm, I’ve got a pretty descent place to shoot.
Naw...I use to bill collect for living. I accept criticism well.
That's only 3 hours from home. I'll take you up on that offer if get up that way sometime.
Anyone that likes to shoot BP is friend of mine!
God Bless...

Back