• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Silver solder questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a little guidance on silver solder. I have this roll Sn 96.5 Ag 3 Cu0.5.

Will this work for silver soldering parts?
Anyone know what the flux 4300 3.3% means?
Why would solder have an expiration date?

Thanks in advance.
silver solder.jpg

That's common lead free flux core plumbing solder. Flow temp will be around 400-500 F. The flux number is the type (acid, rosin, whatever) The 3.3% is the amount of flux in the core. Silver solder for parts has a much higher silver content, all the way up to pure Ag.

How much silver content is the minimum for parts with stress? For now it'll be for low loads/stress. What silver content would be acceptable for something like barrel tenons being soldered on? Thanks for the advice so far.

How much silver content is the minimum for parts with stress? For now it'll be for low loads/stress. What silver content would be acceptable for something like barrel tenons being soldered on? Thanks for the advice so far.

The 35% or 45% types from Harris will probably do anything you need.
Harris solders

Google, 'Why does silver solder with flux have an expiry date?" You will be in for some good reading. Spoiler alert, long story short, it is because the flux breaks down with time (and fluctuating temperature) becoming ineffective. Man, there's some gumph I didn't know.

The stuff you lads get me chasing! :D Life long learning at its best.

Pete

Thanks for the info Aussie, weird though I don't recall seeing expiration dates on cans of flux, maybe a difference in flux types??? Or maybe I just never paid close enough attention to the flux cans I've used.

I went to their home site and it looks to me that this silver solder is for plumbing/air condition work not for steel. This solder would be good for brass and copper but not for steel - that's what I get out of their info.

High silver content solders need much higher temperatures to flow. Normal plumbing solder 5 percent silver and the rest tin works well for underlugs, ribs and sights. Useing high temperature silver solders can easily destroy a gun barrel due to warping or scaling the bore. BJH

For high strength, Brownell's Silvaloy 355. 56% silver. Can be used with propane with a Mapp gas torch head. Requires a borax flux. Flows around 1250°F. Next down is Brownell's high temp Force 44.

Latest posts

Back