• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Silver & gold Toradar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still working on resurrecting this matchlock ... would love to get it shooting again!
62C5A07C-1B8F-409B-AC1E-D0A7005584BF.jpeg
195CDA42-9972-4200-941E-76DFA910D1B3.png
91E8F605-8C8A-4E0A-89F0-E65764748F39.jpeg
D1F20745-68E4-4902-8E05-86539E1D65D2.png

It is about 54-caliber, and the gold isn’t gold leaf, but actually is fine gold wire hammered into the designs engraved or cut into the receiver or barrel; called ‘koftgari’, thanks to Pukka Bundook for that info.

Hi Flint

That is a great looking Torador. I think Punka and I are the only ones in North America that have "shootable" Toradors (?) LOL I noticed yours still has it's pan cover. Often they are missing as well as many having been made without them. I'm assuming the serpentine is in working condition (?)
If you haven't already, you will want to check and see what configuration of bore you have at the breech end. Does it appear to be regular cylinder bore or one of the strange chambered designs like mine was originally ? Is your barrel tapered octagon to round or all tapered octagon ?

Here is something to try out: Raise the gun to your shoulder and get a sight picture as normal. Then try to get the same sight picture with the butt stock under your arm pit. Does it work ?

(I'm just full of questions aren't I LOL) Rick

Flint,

We want to know how you are getting on with this.
I wish all the matchlocks were in the "Pre -Flintlock" forum.. They'd be easier to find.
I did not know you had put it on this forum until just now.

It will be lovely when you get finished with it!
Would like to see work in progress photos, And see your reply to Rick on barrel interior !!

Also, I'd love to see close-ups of the sideplate decoration. :)

Best,
Pukka.

I’ll add more pictures later ... unfortuately I’m in the midst of the MZL hunting seasons, so that’s taking all my time.

Then of course, being a collector and a ‘wannabe’ of these fine ethnographic arms (like you & the other Rick) ... I picked up a Toradar & Jezail. I had to send the snaphaunce lock of the Toradar out to Jeff Miller of Flintlock Forge, to fix the steel (frizzen) so once my hunting days are over, I’ll get back to this.

Sadly, the wood around the action area is very weak, not sure if I could restore her to shooting condition ...

Whenever you get the time to post pictures, we'll make the time to look at them!

I hope you can get it running. It's a lovely example, but not sure where in India it is from , off the top of my head.;

My stock was broken in two, and V badly glued up when I got it, (Fixed now) so I hope yours can be fixed as well.

Good Hunting!
We don't have a M/L season up her in Alberta. Over at end of this month, and weather too soft to draw the elk out. Not much chance for one now.

Back