• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Silver Dollar City Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshPalmer

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I have a Hawken that my father purchased at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO.

I dont know anything about the maker or the kit used. Hoping someone here might now.

It is engraved with my Fathers name and the date 1979.

I am wanting to get it shooting again.the first issue is that it's missing the pin in the forearm that locks the barrel down. Can I order one of thos somewhere?

Also it appears to have an issue with the set trigger as the hammer doesnt lock all the way back, rendering the set Trigger useless.

I'd appreciate any advice or info anyone might have on this gun.

Does it suppose to have one or two pins? Yes they can be replaced but best to know who manufactured it. Any other markings on the barrel? The set trigger should have an adjustment screw.

The part is called a "WEDGE PIN"
If you like to gamble you could find a Thompson Center wedge pin on eBay. I just looked.
You could also take the gun to a local gun shop that specializes in muzzle loaders and try some for fit.

Here is an overwhelming list of options. I think odds very good, a TC Hawkin or Lyman Hawkin will fit.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/964/3
For the hammer, make sure you are pulling back hard enough. If yes, then one screw will remove the lock and you can eyeball the situation. It is a very simple, low tech, mechanism. Look at it. Actually, you should remove the lock and oil it one time anyway.

It's probably a long shot, but Ozark Mountain Arms was located in Branson, MO in 1979. They could have been marketing at Silver Dollar City.

79_10 BR Ozark Mountain Arms ad.jpg

They made a very nice looking Hawken rifle.
aap-026_1.jpg

Yes, a picture would help our speculation. My guess is it is a Thompson Center Hawken,they had quite a few oddball limited edition runs.

It's probably a long shot, but Ozark Mountain Arms was located in Branson, MO in 1979. They could have been marketing at Silver Dollar City.

View attachment 26902

They made a very nice looking Hawken rifle.
View attachment 26903
OMA had several locations at different times in that part of the state. I once visited their original store in Ozark, MO. They were not capable of producing the numbers of rifles that would have been needed for selling at SDC.

Wow. I really appreciate so many people being willing to help a newbie here.

I will take pictures tonight and post them.

It is a single wedge pin.

I had forgotten about Silver Dollar City and black powder stuff. We visited there around that time when our kids were young. Unfortunately I don't remember much about it.

I remember reading several warnings in Muzzle Blasts back then about guns coming out of Branson. They were touted as handmade Hawkens and looked good. However, they were extremely dangerous as the breech plug was not threaded but pinned in place. I would have your gun examined by a knowledgeable person who knows what he's doing and what to look for.

So I have a Hawken that my father purchased at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO.

I dont know anything about the maker or the kit used. Hoping someone here might now.

I am wanting to get it shooting again.the first issue is that it's missing the pin in the forearm that locks the barrel down. Can I order one of thos somewhere?

Also it appears to have an issue with the set trigger as the hammer doesnt lock all the way back, rendering the set Trigger useless.

They have "wedges" at Octobercountry.com ,Midway.com, Thompson's site has some as well. Does it have one or two?

Well its been a crazy year. Finally back to this project. A number of you asked for pictures to answer my questions or give more specific advice. Here are some pics of the rifle. Appreciate any help.

20201115_130800.jpg
20201115_130926.jpg
20201115_130834.jpg
20201115_130911.jpg

Looks like an Investarms kit to me also.

The "gun maker" at Silver Dollar City assembled various production kits and sold them at a premium at the Gun Shop in Silver Dollar City. Sometimes there would be some modern carving done to the stock. I would not add any premium value to the kit over a production version of a similar Investarms rifle.

I remember reading several warnings in Muzzle Blasts back then about guns coming out of Branson. They were touted as handmade Hawkens and looked good. However, they were extremely dangerous as the breech plug was not threaded but pinned in place. I would have your gun examined by a knowledgeable person who knows what he's doing and what to look for.
That may very well have been me that wrote some of those articles. I got in serious trouble with the NMLRA honchos. Seems I was not making friends with the Silver Dollar City people making those (truthful) comments. SDC is a tourist trap entity and will sell anything. Fun place to go but be wary about spending your money there.

Back