• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Silly question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see a lot of you use some pretty long barrels on your guns, especially on your fowlers. These guns are often 46' or more for the barrel. My question is where do you find cleaning rods for such a barrel? Just a general curiosity. -Larry

I see a lot of you use some pretty long barrels on your guns, especially on your fowlers. These guns are often 46' or more for the barrel. My question is where do you find cleaning rods for such a barrel? Just a general curiosity. -Larry
I have a five piece alloy rod which will do up to about 50”+, but I got in England many years ago, so I don’t know if they are still available anywhere

I made my own rod from 3/8 stainless steel I bought from the hardware store. Most of those are 48 inches long. With T handle and jag installed, it's well around 54 inches. Plenty long for any barrel.

Treso has the long rods also. I also have bought wood dowels 48" long from Lowes and the brass from Treso.

Treso also sells or sold a short brass rod extension. I found my last one on eBay. A machine shop can whip one out for you as a last resort.

I have barrels up to 49+ inches, my go-to smoothbore has one 46 inches. I use my regular wooden ramrods for cleaning, but have a couple of things to make it easier. First is a combination worm and puller 4" long.
wormpuller1.jpg

If I need more than that, I made a short extension, just a wooden ramrod 10" long with male and female fittings which can be use with the regular ramrod.
extensionA.jpg

Spence

I have barrels up to 49+ inches, my go-to smoothbore has one 46 inches. I use my regular wooden ramrods for cleaning, but have a couple of things to make it easier. First is a combination worm and puller 4" long.
View attachment 36769

If I need more than that, I made a short extension, just a wooden ramrod 10" long with male and female fittings which can be use with the regular ramrod.
View attachment 36770
Spence
Oh.... me likly... good idea

My rifle's barrel is only 38", but to get a stout, sectioned, range rod/cleaning rod that's long enough, I bought two older brass rod kits from eBay. With an extra section, that i don't usually need, I can load/clean a barrel up to a 50" long.
Now only need to find one...

Hickory rods to 48" can be bought from October Country. He'll also assemble custom length rods for you.

Not period correct but I purchased a nice Rosewood sectional cleaning rod set, reaches all way down both my long barrels (50cal & 76cal) remove a couple sections and it does my blunderbuss and 54cal pistol. It dont fit my 45cal Kentucky pistol however.
I purchased an extra set 'Just in case'. Well, after 4 or 5 years now I finally broke one section (using it on a hard load after breaking my hickory ramrod) - glad I bought two sets!

In the bottom of my range box are two sets of M1 Garand cleaning rod sections, with an adapter for the cleaning jags, patch worms, bullet puller, etc.. If I forget my usual range rod, I can make one from as many sections of cleaning rod as needed.

Certainly not hc/pc but I love this for a range rod and cleaning rod,
IMG_20150201_125517_721.jpgIMG_20150201_125610_808.jpg
I know some don't like them, feeling they are "too flexible," for loading, but I have not had an issue with that, I just choke up on it and don't try to hold it so far from the muzzle and attempt to send the ball home in one stroke. But then, my loads don't need a short starter either. These do come in various lengths and diameters, including s diameter to fit Pedersoli ramrod pipes, we set one up to replace a friends broken stock wood rod.

Back