Silly question

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Magungo1066

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of you use some pretty long barrels on your guns, especially on your fowlers. These guns are often 46' or more for the barrel. My question is where do you find cleaning rods for such a barrel? Just a general curiosity. -Larry

cositrike

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I see a lot of you use some pretty long barrels on your guns, especially on your fowlers. These guns are often 46' or more for the barrel. My question is where do you find cleaning rods for such a barrel? Just a general curiosity. -Larry
I have a five piece alloy rod which will do up to about 50”+, but I got in England many years ago, so I don’t know if they are still available anywhere

Grimord

Fyrstyk
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Range or cleaning rods for long rifles are available from Dixie Gun Works, TOW and many other Black Powder vendors.

Sidney Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I made my own rod from 3/8 stainless steel I bought from the hardware store. Most of those are 48 inches long. With T handle and jag installed, it's well around 54 inches. Plenty long for any barrel.

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Treso has the long rods also. I also have bought wood dowels 48" long from Lowes and the brass from Treso.

Bob McBride

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Treso also sells or sold a short brass rod extension. I found my last one on eBay. A machine shop can whip one out for you as a last resort.

sawyer04

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I find a good hickory tree and make splits. some times many ramrods can be made at once.

Spence10

Cannon
Reaction score
I have barrels up to 49+ inches, my go-to smoothbore has one 46 inches. I use my regular wooden ramrods for cleaning, but have a couple of things to make it easier. First is a combination worm and puller 4" long.
wormpuller1.jpg

If I need more than that, I made a short extension, just a wooden ramrod 10" long with male and female fittings which can be use with the regular ramrod.
extensionA.jpg
Spence

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
I have barrels up to 49+ inches, my go-to smoothbore has one 46 inches. I use my regular wooden ramrods for cleaning, but have a couple of things to make it easier. First is a combination worm and puller 4" long.
View attachment 36769

If I need more than that, I made a short extension, just a wooden ramrod 10" long with male and female fittings which can be use with the regular ramrod.
View attachment 36770
Spence
Oh.... me likly... good idea

Gavin T Lane

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Check out Welcome

They will make you any kind of rod you like. They made me a brass ramrod with female threads on both ends for a .32 Kentucky rifle I built. It is superb.

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm basically lazy so I just bought one of the totw steel rods with a handle long enough to service my longest barrel. Easy peasy.

Flinty Scot

40 Cal
Reaction score
My rifle's barrel is only 38", but to get a stout, sectioned, range rod/cleaning rod that's long enough, I bought two older brass rod kits from eBay. With an extra section, that i don't usually need, I can load/clean a barrel up to a 50" long.
Now only need to find one...

MtnMan

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hickory rods to 48" can be bought from October Country. He'll also assemble custom length rods for you.

Mad L

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Not period correct but I purchased a nice Rosewood sectional cleaning rod set, reaches all way down both my long barrels (50cal & 76cal) remove a couple sections and it does my blunderbuss and 54cal pistol. It dont fit my 45cal Kentucky pistol however.
I purchased an extra set 'Just in case'. Well, after 4 or 5 years now I finally broke one section (using it on a hard load after breaking my hickory ramrod) - glad I bought two sets!

rdavidson

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
M2 machine gun cleaning rod. Plenty long enough and sectional. Got mine on Ebay.

Dibbuk

32 Cal.
Reaction score
In the bottom of my range box are two sets of M1 Garand cleaning rod sections, with an adapter for the cleaning jags, patch worms, bullet puller, etc.. If I forget my usual range rod, I can make one from as many sections of cleaning rod as needed.

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Certainly not hc/pc but I love this for a range rod and cleaning rod,
IMG_20150201_125517_721.jpgIMG_20150201_125610_808.jpg
I know some don't like them, feeling they are "too flexible," for loading, but I have not had an issue with that, I just choke up on it and don't try to hold it so far from the muzzle and attempt to send the ball home in one stroke. But then, my loads don't need a short starter either. These do come in various lengths and diameters, including s diameter to fit Pedersoli ramrod pipes, we set one up to replace a friends broken stock wood rod.

Latest posts