• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Silhouette Targets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freedom

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had a source for the metal silhouette targets that muzzleloaders shoot at the Friendship matches. Specifically the set that includes the Standing 200-meter Bear

I used to get my steel from the local recycling yard. They get in factory scrap and used to let you sort through it. Now they won't let you go through the yard. Also they stopped selling brass and lead to indivuals. It is a real bummer. I suggest you check out scrap yards in your area and hopefully you can still get some.

We had a business outside of town that used some type of a water-jet system to cut sheet steel. As I understand it, they used a high pressure water-jet that used a powdered sapphire slurry to cut through the steel. It was a flat table CNC system

The 2008 crash saw them fold, but for several years I was able to pick through their scrap pile and collect lots of steel discs from 2” diameter up to 32” in diameter and plate thicknesses from 1/4” to 2 1/2”…

I sure miss those guys. They were a good solid business.

DF16B29A-327B-4EE3-B861-A37B65C6E1AB.jpeg

Here’s a 8 3/4” disc, 1/2” thick, that I welded onto a 3”x4” base as a knock down target.

If you’ve got a company in your area that has one of those systems, they can cut anything you need from sheet steel

Last edited:
Sending you a PM. I ordered those targets last year for the the NMLRA. They are not cheap and we used AR500 steel for the new ones. The old ones I dont know what they were made from, but not AR 400 or AR 500 steel.

Several years ago I had a buddy give me one of each of the animals and I made swingers out of them.

Fleener

Thank you guys for the replies. Yeah I'm trying to find the paper Dimensions so that I can have my target maker friend make some for me in official size.

In the mid-70s I started a metallic silhouette target business. The targets were animals. I called it Buffs and Bears. The targets were cut on a flame burner at a local company from T1A steel. Sales were picking up until Jimmy Carter came along and made shipping costs unaffordable. As others suggested, local steel and cutting is your best bet.

I havea pretty good pile of scrap steel. I just cannot find the dimensions at all for these Muzzleloader silhouette targets. I can find a chicken Pig turkey and RAM... But it is like no information exists on the muzzleloading silhouette.??

Give the NMLRA office a call. Ask for Brenda. She has the target info and for a small charge can send them to you.

I would not call her in the next 3 weeks. With the Spring Nationals starting Saturday she is already very busy.

Fleener

So I am not able to even find a photo of this Bear and Buffalo target line that is fired on during the Large Bore muzzloader silhouette match at Friendship.

Does anyone have a picture of the target line up on the range...

I havea pretty good pile of scrap steel. I just cannot find the dimensions at all for these Muzzleloader silhouette targets. I can find a chicken Pig turkey and RAM... But it is like no information exists on the muzzleloading silhouette.??
The demensions are in the range rule book i believe. I will look for the page.

Latest posts

Back