• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sika Elk on Assateague Island

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Saw my first Sika elk in the wild yesterday while hiking on Assateague island. I don't know what makes for a trophy, but the antlers were almost as tall as the elk. Also saw a half dozen white tail. I envy those who get to hunt out there. Looked into getting the license and permit, a bit much for a non-resident, but if I get to retire there. Looks like the waterfowl hunting is pretty good too.

Sika elk or Sika deer?
I don't find any elk named that in my search on the web.

I did find this picture of a Sika deer though.

Sika-Deer-Size.jpg

that's it. Locals call them "Sika Elk". Guess it depends on who is describing them.

According to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources:

“Sika deer are small members of the elk family that have a dark brown to black coat. Sikas tend to keep their white spots as adults which are more prominent during summer. Males (stags) also have a dark shaggy mane running down their neck. Sika deer have a white rump patch that flares outward when alarmed."

They tend to be smaller than white tail, with a males reaching around 90 pounds. Swept back antlers instead of the forward curve like deer. Manes like Elk. The stag I saw did not have visible spots, but the tell tale swept back antlers. It was about 80 yards away when I saw it. It stood perfectly still for a twenty seconds or so and then vanished into the brush.

Notoriously difficult to kill. Or rather, they often run a good distance after being shot. Layers of fat often plug the hole!
Best tasting venison for sure, akin to a cross between lamb and beef.
The males stink by the way!

Used to be a lot of Sika deer down here on the exotic ranches. But you don’t hear about them much anymore. I suppose they are still around. I haven’t seen one in a while. But that really doesn’t mean anything.

There was talk several years ago about "Super Sika" which I thought were a cross between red deer and sika. Like I say, I bet they are still around. Hard to guess what you’ll see on ranches around here anymore! :) Can be interesting.

Used to be a lot of Sika deer down here on the exotic ranches. But you don’t hear about them much anymore. I suppose they are still around. I haven’t seen one in a while. But that really doesn’t mean anything.

There was talk several years ago about "Super Sika" which I thought were a cross between red deer and sika. Like I say, I bet they are still around. Hard to guess what you’ll see on ranches around here anymore! :) Can be interesting.
Big issue in Scotland, the sika stag will cover a red deer hind!

The only sikas I've ever seen were on game ranches in Texas. They were small (dinky) dark brown deer. Saw many more axis deer and blackbuck plus Barbados sheep. I guess the Texas habitat isn't as favorable for them as Virginia.

Where is Assateague Island?
Assateague Island is a barrier island that extends 30 some miles from the lower Maryland coast to the northern Virginia Coast. The entire island is either state or federal park/refuge. It is where the wild horses live that gave rise to the book "Misty of Chincoteague." By Marguerite Henry. (A movie was also made) Chincoteague is another island between Assateague and the mainland of Virginia. The wild horses on the Virginia side of Assateague are the property of the Chincoteague fire Dept. Chincoteague was one of two towns in Virginia that voted not to secede from the Union in 1861. When a skirmish took place in the marsh behind the island with Confederates, over half of the men of the island marched out through the marsh to assist Union naval forces. (The townspeople actually sent couriers to warn the Union navy that Confederates were using Chincoteague Bay to bring guns ashore. ) In January the population is under 3,000. In Late July, the population swells to about 12,000. With about 20,000 visitors the last Wednesday and Thursday of July. (Wild horse round up and swim across the channel. ) The legend is that the wild horses escaped from a ship wrecked Spanish boat. It is more likely, that early Colonists put their breeding stock horses out there to evade taxes on livestock.

The only sikas I've ever seen were on game ranches in Texas. They were small (dinky) dark brown deer. Saw many more axis deer and blackbuck plus Barbados sheep. I guess the Texas habitat isn't as favorable for them as Virginia.

Those are the way I remember them too. Like a minature elk.

Back