• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Signature Series 1860 sold for $3025... What?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time I got crazy about an auction on GunBroker was way back in about 2004 when I was bidding on a 1941 Johnson rifle. And even then I paid probably only a little more than it was "worth"

Now. In the rare occasion I use GB, I place a bid and that's it. If someone wants it more, they can have it

I just don't trust GB unless I the seller is one of the huge conglomerates like Wholesale Hunter that lists Pietta 1858s for $50 less than anyone and has 99+ in stock or is a person I've bought from before

The chances of being run up by a shill are pretty high on GB and it's apparently very easy to just have a buddy or other employee use their account to run the bid up, I've heard people basically bragging about this c rap. I stopped chasing stuff after I found out what sketchy sellers do on the online auctions

When you buy on an auction site you set the max amount you are willing to go including tax and shipping. Enter it and let it go. If it passes that. No problem.
Exactly, that's how you do it! And if you're especially froggie, you enter that bid just prior to the auction ending or use an application that will do it for you.

Holy Black Powder Pistols Batman! So, is anyone gonna email the winner and tell him his mistake? That might be kinda like telling your friend his wife is cheating on him. You might get the backlash!

Attachments

• 320876854_695991901937344_5371845743485119157_n.jpg
    320876854_695991901937344_5371845743485119157_n.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
Exactly, that's how you do it! And if you're especially froggie, you enter that bid just prior to the auction ending or use an application that will do it for you.
“Sniping“ isn’t very effective on gunbroker since their software adds fifteen minutes to the auction if bids are placed within the final fifteen minutes of the auction. Regardless, that’s the most perfect (and well photographed) 3rd generation I’ve seen since they were new and I bet the listing agent was shocked by the ending bid…

“Sniping“ isn’t very effective on gunbroker since their software adds fifteen minutes to the auction if bids are placed within the final fifteen minutes of the auction. Regardless, that’s the most perfect (and well photographed) 3rd generation I’ve seen since they were new and I bet the listing agent was shocked by the ending bid…
Good point, I forgot about that 15 min rule. Probably developed for just that reason.

This is only a theory, but here is what I think happens sometimes....
When someone wants to make sure that they win an item in an auction, they enter a maximum bid way above and beyond what the item is worth, thinking everyone else that is bidding, will just give up.
But someone, possibly at the auction house, knows what his max bid is and just runs the item up just
under the persons max bid. I have no proof of this, but there is an online auction near here, where I have heard several people voice their concern that this is happening there.
The lesson here is, if you want something bad enough, you'll have to babysit the bidding, and just raise your bid the minimum amount until you win, or cry uncle.

Holy Black Powder Pistols Batman! So, is anyone gonna email the winner and tell him his mistake? That might be kinda like telling your friend his wife is cheating on him. You might get the backlash!
I don't get involved in love triangles, cheating "entanglements " or gun deals between other parties 😃

My coworkers wife sent me a text I guess for nefarious purposes, I knew he wasn't really the picture of fidelity so I told her to stop contacting me and I never said ---- . I'm not getting in the middle of that mess

I bought a S&W Model 60 at a gun shop years ago and some random goober was like "$250 that's way too cheap for that " and the clerk kinda paused for a second, then hes like
" that's what the tag says, we'll honor it oh well " I told that guy that opened his trap, I'm like if you --- 'd that up and they fixed the price you and me would have had a serious disagreement outside " and of course I was the ------ for saying this

I've watched people at gun shows overpay for S&W revolvers that were so shot out they rattled when you picked them up, cheap ARs, etc but getting involved in a deal between a dealer and a buyer is bad juju

No one spoke up at Cabelas when I paid probably 500 bucks for a Victory revolver that was out of time and had a different barrel screwed on.....or a "Vietnam bring back" French 9mm that turned out to be 1980s production

Doesn't work like that...it keeps going until people stop bidding.... after any bid at the end of the auction it keeps adding (I believe) 15 min or something like that to let others have time to get there vote in, just in case their internet is slow or the phone dies in the middle of it all

This is only a theory, but here is what I think happens sometimes....
When someone wants to make sure that they win an item in an auction, they enter a maximum bid way above and beyond what the item is worth, thinking everyone else that is bidding, will just give up.
But someone, possibly at the auction house, knows what his max bid is and just runs the item up just
under the persons max bid. I have no proof of this, but there is an online auction near here, where I have heard several people voice their concern that this is happening there.
The lesson here is, if you want something bad enough, you'll have to babysit the bidding, and just raise your bid the minimum amount until you win, or cry uncle.
The buyer can also just not pay and take the Non Paying Bidder report

Back