• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1" long dovetailed rear site on my longrifle. I'd like to try a new rear sight I saw except that it only fits a 1/2" dovetail. I don't want to cut a plug and file a new dovetail so I was wondering if I could adapt the new one. I believe both sights are cast metal. (The one I have is Track's RS-G-377 and the one I'd like to try is RS-CA-Peep. I have two extra of the long ones. Can this stuff be welded, soldered, JB Welded, glued or something like that? If so, I could just cut the verticle blade off the new one and attch it to the base of the 1 inch one. Make any sense at all?

You could swap and weld the upright parts of the sights, or silver solder, or braze. I'd not JB weld anything like that.

Thanks Rich..didn't know if you could solder or braze that cast stuff. I'll give it a try. I think I'll just cut off the right length of a spare sight's base and solder it to the base of the new sight to get the one inch length I need. I've never soldered ( other than electrical wires) or brazed anything so I figure these are cheap enough parts to learn on. Thanks again Sir.

Back