• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything with “Peep“ in the description. Lyman 57SML is a good one. Williams Foolproof Hawken will also fit the rifle…

7EA836BA-6B5A-4D8D-8D89-1EDE2FDEF8C8.jpeg

Yeah, unless you want to shoot in certain kinds of BP matches or like a bit more field of view. Then my nomination is a full buckhorn -- which is the poor man's "almost a peep" sight. I have one on both my BP rifles.

Yeah, unless you want to shoot in certain kinds of BP matches or like a bit more field of view. Then my nomination is a full buckhorn -- which is the poor man's "almost a peep" sight. I have one on both my BP rifles.
Had never considered this!
over the last century i have removed untold numbers of full buckhorn sights to be replaced with the newest gucci sight.
will have to find that drawer and see if they will work for my new builds!

I never thought I would like the full buckhorn. Couldn't figure out what the point of it was. Then it dawned on me.

My epiphony went like this: How can I get the effect of an aperture sight and still qualify in these matches? Well, I could start with an aperture sight in the rear dovetail (I've used those on a Swedish Mauser and a Swiss K31), and then just saw a slot in the top of it so it doesn't count as a "peep" or aperture sight. ... (duh) ... WAIT A MINUTE!! THAT'S A FULL BUCKHORN! 😂😂😂:rolleyes:

Here is what I did for my Hawken style rifle to put a full buckhorn sight om it using the origonal holes and screws, plus moving the sight a little further out for my old eyes. It is allowed in all competation since the "horns " have a gap of at least 1/8 inch.

Attachments

• buck horn site.jpg
    buck horn site.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 41
Here is what I did for my Hawken style rifle to put a full buckhorn sight om it using the origonal holes and screws, plus moving the sight a little further out for my old eyes. It is allowed in all competation since the "horns " have a gap of at least 1/8 inch.
Great idea, why did I not think of that. Thanks.

I just put a set of fully adjustable buckhorn marbles sights on my Great Plains. I like em.

Attachments

• 375F8B70-A0E6-443D-B9BB-1B46B7EBFBF2.jpeg
    375F8B70-A0E6-443D-B9BB-1B46B7EBFBF2.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 4CBE2105-6B4E-4B3D-AB71-2FE55B3F3ABE.jpeg
    4CBE2105-6B4E-4B3D-AB71-2FE55B3F3ABE.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 672D2B19-F8AC-4ABA-A020-DEF312B6609A.png
    672D2B19-F8AC-4ABA-A020-DEF312B6609A.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 53
  • B67C671F-5A32-4E4F-86AF-A15F48D136F0.jpeg
    B67C671F-5A32-4E4F-86AF-A15F48D136F0.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 42
I just put a set of fully adjustable buckhorn marbles sights on my Great Plains. I like em.
Yeah, that's the rear sight I have on my Lyman GPR. It extends the sighting plane a bit too. But I find I don't really use the adjustability feature. And I like the TOW full buckhorn shape a bit better. It's what's on my Crockett rifle. For my purposes, at some point I think I'll go to the TOW on the GPR, but may need to mess with the front sight again if I do. :rolleyes:

My TOW order came in yesterday. Rear sight, primitive buckhorn, for 15/16" or 1" octagon barrel, wax cast steel - Track of the Wolf

When I arrived home later last night I had to prep and install both this rear buckhorn and the Brass Front Blade sights on my GPR. This mid 1980's barrel has the rear sight dovetail, no screws. It took quite a bit of filing and sanding on this wax cast sight to make it fit but I wasn't going to bed until it was drifted into place. These sights have a very small, thin V opening. I took a single hacksaw blade to open it just a tad and square the bottom up. The front 1/16" wide blade fills it but no more. I may open the rear slot for a bit more gap on both sides of the blade picture, but I already like this set up far greater than the Lyman flip up rear and huge front bead that the prior owner installed.

I've always been a front sight even with the rear sight plane type of shooter. Peering through this set up makes me wonder if leaving the front blade proud is a better way to go in the buckhorn configuration. Testing to do once time to go shoot frees up.

Back