• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sights for old eyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I made some sights just for old eyes. The front sight is steel with an ivory insert, the solid ivory sight kept breaking so I set it into a steel sight. The rear sight is moved out the barrel three inches.

Attachments

• front ivory sight.jpg
    front ivory sight.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 169
  • buck horn sight mounted.jpg
    buck horn sight mounted.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 163
Ohio............What you are experiencing is the standard "old eye" syndrome old guys encounter. I'm 74+ and have gone to a tang mounted peep sight on my flint deer long rifle. This "peep sight" can be as simple as apiece of sheet metal w/a hole drilled in it. Amazingly , this type sight will make the target , and front sight clear again. ............oldwood

Ohio............What you are experiencing is the standard "old eye" syndrome old guys encounter. I'm 74+ and have gone to a tang mounted peep sight on my flint deer long rifle. This "peep sight" can be as simple as apiece of sheet metal w/a hole drilled in it. Amazingly , this type sight will make the target , and front sight clear again. ............oldwood
Thats what I did (and I am nowhere near my 70’s yet).

Attachments

• 51A5BE37-1583-47CB-998C-EDA850A980C7.jpeg
    51A5BE37-1583-47CB-998C-EDA850A980C7.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 112
Hello Lfpdlt. I like that tang peep sight. How did you make it? Is it attached to the tang with a screw? It was a very clever idea. Necessity is the mother of invention......

I cut out a piece of stock from a heavy duty sawzall blade and heated with a propane torch to shape it. It is attached with the tang screw. I put a pretty large hole in it to make it more of a ghost ring sight. Then I just used a little cold blue on it. Works great and does not look out of place. In full disclosure I just copied a picture of a similar sight I saw online.

Do you have it lined up with the front sight and rear sight? Or do you use only the front sight within the peep?
thanks for your advice

Mine is a smoothbore fowler so it only had a front sight until I added the tang sight.

Well let's face it as we age we all have to compensate one way or the other. My Thompson Renegade ( .54 ) received a whole change to Williams Fire Sights and pretty much solved the problem.

Same here. Eyes finally got bad enough I could see front sight fine, but rear sight was a blurry mess. Sooooooo .... lord help me I tapped out the rear notch sight and filed, filed, filed and filed some more until I could fit a Winchester 94 round peep sight into its place. Next I made a diopter out of a jeweler's loupe. That sharpened the rear sight nicely. Havn't tried it at the range yet. Oh, yeah, it's an old CVA .45 flintlock.

Back