• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting in a new(to me) rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be interesting to find a fairly long straight metal rod that is near bore size and at least a foot or more longer than the barrel. It could be placed in the barrel and then see how much the rod runs out from the line of the barrel.

Also, it seems to me that sights are never exactly parallel with the vertical plane of the bore, so placing the run out vertically would be compensated by sight adjustment in the same way we compensate for projectile drop. Some of the old sources I've seen for building a rifle suggest doing this if the barrel is not bored true.

This is true, and that is why POI changes vertically with range even with a "normal", or bored straight barrel. However, runout will increase that effect...by how much, I don't know. Maybe not much. ?? Maybe much. :) Sure would be simple just to fit another barrel, rather than re-breeching, filling dovetails, making new dovetails, just to find out it's like two inches high at 25 yards, and a foot low at 100, or whatever. I wonder what caliber it is, a new barrel would also allow a wide choice of calibers, if the caliber it is in is not the owner's "ideal". I wonder what a picture of this rifle would look like.

Unless you really like the rifle any of the suggested repair or replacement may be cost prohibitive. Who made the rifle, what barrel length and caliber. It's hard to offer advice/suggestions without knowing a bit more about it.

What Brit sez is true, but I'm still thinking that a new barrel beats even the time spent experimenting with cutting a catty-wonkus crown. The theory does seem....sound....but still seems like putting lipstick on a pig, or the sow's ear purse, or three steps backwards and one step forward, or something like that. !!! :)

Back