• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting Along a Sighting Rib

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a historical question about gun building in the 18th century; specifically French gun building. An optional feature on some French export fusils was a sighting rib milled along the top of the barrel thus extending the top flat from breech to muzzle. In the photographs I've seen, there appears to be no sight mounted to the barrel. Some of the guns were cut down; one or two I've seen may not have been cut down. I couldn't really be sure.

So the questions are:
  1. If there were a sight present originally, how was it mounted; dovetailed into the barrel, like on a rifle (doubtful), or a slot filed into the sighting rib and the blade soldered into place? (possible)
  2. If neither of the above, was the sighting rib the sight?

They had sights. Usually a fine barley corn type,mounted 4 or 5 inches from the muzzle depending on barrel length. As was the French fashion. Sometimes it was just a flat filled from breech to muzzle, other times it was a raised flat,comparable to a modern one. Difference being the barrel was made oversized, and the excess removed to make the flat. The latter being very time consuming and costly. I have built using one and seen a couple reproductions. I'm not sure if I have any good pictures to show the sights . Most originals have been altered, and it's a detail the average gun photographer neglects
Larry Horrigan will make you one, but sit down for the price.

Hi,
Here is one I did using a hand made broach and a bottoming file. The next to last photo shows how the flat ends at the front sight and the last photo shows the front sight, which is morticed into the center of the barrel.
xsCwI7s.jpg

gkfnNgh.jpg

uLVqeOX.jpg

ZR7pZAz.jpg

YR4QHS6.jpg

75pxW1Q.jpg

0EGMhFg.jpg

Msk4FUV.jpg

These photos show the front sight and flat on the original barrel. It was a French barrel used on a New England fowler.
ORwGRvb.jpg

yrpi4Hz.jpg

dave

Hi,
Here is one I did using a hand made broach and a bottoming file. The next to last photo shows how the flat ends at the front sight and the last photo shows the front sight, which is morticed into the center of the barrel.
xsCwI7s.jpg

gkfnNgh.jpg

uLVqeOX.jpg

ZR7pZAz.jpg

YR4QHS6.jpg

75pxW1Q.jpg

0EGMhFg.jpg

Msk4FUV.jpg

These photos show the front sight and flat on the original barrel. It was a French barrel used on a New England fowler.
ORwGRvb.jpg

yrpi4Hz.jpg

dave
Thanks for sharing that, Dave

Back